My .43 Mauser

Paatz

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
Any sources for the brass for this?
43Mauser02.jpg

43Mauser01.jpg

43mauser06.jpg

43Mauser05.jpg

43Mauser04.jpg

43Mauser03.jpg
 
The cases are a bit short but you can blow out (bulge out) 45-70 brass as long as you are sticking with black powder. The model 71 does not have an ejector pin and you can use flat base brass in it. anneal the cases before you fireform.

cheers mooncoon
 
I got Bertram brass fro Jerry at mysticprecision a few months ago. Nice brass(and pricey) but you will want to anneal before you throw it in the dies. If you hit the local gun shows you can often find original blackpowder ammo from the 1880s, but again typically pricey.

Incidentally, that is a very nice and desirable Jaeger Rifle.
 
For properly spec'd and headstamped brass, see Rocky Mountain Cartridge website. They've made 45-60 brass for me and it was very good. It also came annealed.
 
It sez on this here box of DOMINION ammo:
"For use in rifles designated: Pour les carabines marquees:
43 MAUSER 11MM SPANISH"

Actually, if you make a new extractor for the critter, you can make up your own brass from some of that .300 Win Mag that the rich guys throw away.
.
 
Nice mauser - I've been wanting a 71 for a while... always seem to miss them :p

I would try mysticprecision for brass and molds - he always has the random stuff I'm looking for.

Also, I don't have any experience with the 71, but I have foggy recollections of the bore diameter being different (smaller maybe... or bigger?) than the 71/84??? I just remember reading it, might be something others can chime in on. Something was definitely different in relation to cartridge or bullet dimensions though.
 
The bores are the same size. They changed from a round nose, to flat tipped bullet is the only thing I know of.

They did bore out some Jaeger rifles in WWI to accept incendiary ammunition. Then used them to shoot down observation balloons.

I have a few rifles in .43 Mauser. My Jaeger is definitely my favourite of the bunch.

Paatz, Your rifle has had about 15" cut off the fore-end and the nosecap-bayo lug removed. Also looks like the barrel band was moved back 3 or 4 inches.

Nice rifle all the same.
 
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's not a "Jaeger", it's just a sporterized M71 rifle. Sad, as M71 rifles are even more scarce than M71 carbines.

The bores are the same size. They changed from a round nose, to flat tipped bullet is the only thing I know of.

The model 71 Mauser groove size is different from that of the M71/84. The M71 will have a groove diameter of about 0.452", and the M71/84 about 0.446".
 
Last edited:
It does look a little long, and the rear band is closer to where the regular M-71 would be. The trigger guard and rear sling swivel look to be from a Jaeger though.

How long is the barrel?

Does it have a short step at the end of the barrel?
 
I'm pretty sure that's not a "Jaeger", it's just a sporterized M71 rifle.

The carbines say "K Mod. 71" on the left side of the receiver (Karabine),
The infantry rifles say "IG Mod. 71" (Infanterie Gewehr)
Paatz's rifle says "B Mod. 71" (4th picture down)
Anyone know what that means? Not the standard infantry rifle.
 
Well, I don`t know what the B stands for. But it confirms that it is a Jaeger. Same marking on my rifle.

The barrel will be a little over 29" long.

A regular M-71 barrel will be about 33.5"
 
I'm pretty sure that's not a "Jaeger", it's just a sporterized M71 rifle.

You are correct the fore stock has been cut or "sporterized" but it's B marking, rear sling swivel located behind trigger(in the infantry model it's part of the trigger), and pistol grip trigger guard ext are absolutely correct for a Jaeger rifle. I am pretty darn sure it is. :) Even with it unfortunate bob to the furniture it still remains a fairly rare piece compared to the much more common infantry model.
 
Back
Top Bottom