Questions regarding a Marlin Model 1893 .30-30

1bighead

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 92.9%
13   1   0
Location
Alberta
Hey folks I'm in the bidding for one of these rifles. It appears in fair shape, is a good price, and I figure it might be a good project gun. The add says its a good shooter as well. Now if I'm successful and get it, what type of .30-30 ammo would you .30-30 guru's suggest I try ? I'm thinking it wouldn't be smart to fire any hot loads out of it as its pretty old ( 1909 I think). Any advice from someone who owns one of these would be highly appreciated as it'll be my first try at a restoration.
 
That the one on Valley Guns? If it is, I don't think I'd restore it at all - looks to be an honest gun from that era. You should be safe with most factory loadings - I would probably stay away from the LeverEvolution stuff (that's just me though).
 
Any factory load would be fine as long as it is in good condition. Like Killer said, skip the Hornady LeverEvolution. It shoots a little flatter but to me these old rifles should have open sights, scopes seem to ruin the lines and balance of the rifle. The 93 is a strong action and much easier to work on than a 94 Winchester. Hope you get it.
 
Hey folks I'm in the bidding for one of these rifles. It appears in fair shape, is a good price, and I figure it might be a good project gun. The add says its a good shooter as well. Now if I'm successful and get it, what type of .30-30 ammo would you .30-30 guru's suggest I try ? I'm thinking it wouldn't be smart to fire any hot loads out of it as its pretty old ( 1909 I think). Any advice from someone who owns one of these would be highly appreciated as it'll be my first try at a restoration.

As long as the rifle is mechanically sound, any factory 30-30 ammunition is safe to fire. My preference, however, would be to load up some nice lead slugs and have at-er.

Assuming we're talking about the same rifle, I'd venture to leave the rifle as-is. It's actually in the typical condition for most 1893s of that vintage --- the only thing that looks like might have been dickered with is the heel of the buttstock. If you're looking for an 1893 to re-do, you'd be better off finding one with a shot out bore and in worse condition.
 
That the one on Valley Guns? If it is, I don't think I'd restore it at all - looks to be an honest gun from that era. You should be safe with most factory loadings - I would probably stay away from the LeverEvolution stuff (that's just me though).

I agree, if that is the rifle we are talking about, please, please, please leave it as is.... Any restoration work will negatively affect it's value...
 
Back
Top Bottom