Cogswell & Harrison London England revolver

ciphery

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My father bought what he was told to be a Webbley-Colt revolver.
The top strap however says Cogswell and Harisson London England. There is a crest with a Lion and a latin motto. It. Is chambered for what we believe to be .455 webbly. 6" barrel,walnut birds head grip and nickel plated.
I've tried to find out more about the gun to get its history and value but nothing has come up. Seems the cogswell&Harrison web site is closed to public viewing?!
Does anyone know anything about these guns?
 
Not uncommon for merchants of the day to inscribe Webley manufactured guns as their own. Webley-Colt sounds interesting, kinda sounds like a No 5 New Army Express, hard to say by your description, pictures would help.

Maybe, something like this??

161bS-1.jpg
 
A quick look online & I believe Tranter may have built revolvers for them as well. No idea what though. We need pics. If not to help, any gun #### is welcome!
 
I have had and seen a few C&H Revolvers the ones i had were Pryse type guns with short 455 cylinders.
Pics would of course help.
 
Not uncommon for merchants of the day to inscribe Webley manufactured guns as their own. Webley-Colt sounds interesting, kinda sounds like a No 5 New Army Express, hard to say by your description, pictures would help.

Maybe, something like this??

161bS-1.jpg

That's the girl. My hours of searching other sites have revealed that it is a Webley No5 army Express revolver built to compete with the 1887 colt. Webley built the gun and C&H proofed it,marked it and nickel plated it. A good deal of these guns went to Naval officers but I'm uncertain of this ones origin. After a more scrutenous evaluation,and a vigorous cleaning;It is as near as we can tell chambered in 45colt NOT .455 webley. There are no markings of caliber on the gun however, nor does it say webley anywhere.
As for #### I will get some pics next time I'm back home.
 
After a more scrutenous evaluation,and a vigorous cleaning;It is as near as we can tell chambered in 45colt NOT .455 webley. .

There were about 600 chambered in 45 Colt for South Africa (or Orange Free State) I believe. On the other hand a gun chambered for 476 Webley will accept a 45 Colt shell but the nose of a factory load sticks out the front of the cylinder by a small amount

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom