Effective range

PeterPan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Can someone please share with me his knowledge and experience with muzzleloaders.
I would like to know what would be effective range for ML when hunting moose. I understand that shot placement is most important but what would be the average distance for moose?
Also what is the velocity of .50cal slug, SD and Ball. Coeff. ?
What kind of energy can I expect at 100m?

Is there any source of info on line for my question?

Thanks

Peter
 
Can someone please share with me his knowledge and experience with muzzleloaders.
I would like to know what would be effective range for ML when hunting moose. I understand that shot placement is most important but what would be the average distance for moose?
Also what is the velocity of .50cal slug, SD and Ball. Coeff. ?
What kind of energy can I expect at 100m?
r

Without knowing the load, type of gun, type of slug, that is approaches impossible to answer accurately. If you look in Lyman's Black Powder Manual, you will find energies and general ballistic information for a variety of projectiles. You may be able to find something in there which approximates your intended combination.

cheers mooncoon
 
Can someone please share with me his knowledge and experience with muzzleloaders.
I would like to know what would be effective range for ML when hunting moose. I understand that shot placement is most important but what would be the average distance for moose?
Also what is the velocity of .50cal slug, SD and Ball. Coeff. ?
What kind of energy can I expect at 100m?

Is there any source of info on line for my question?

Thanks

Peter

Check out "www.pages.sssnet.com/go2erie/muzzle.htm".

I just went to "Google" and entered "Black powder rifle ballistics" in the search engine.

In his book "Black Powder Loading Manual" Sam Fadala tests a .50 cal Thompson Center Hawken with 100 grs (by volume) FFg black powder and a 358 gr Lee Minie. He got 1456 fps MV, 1686 foot pounds energy at the muzzle. Velocity at 100 yds was down to 1019 fps, energy down to 826 foot pounds.

I would suggest that your effective range depends largely on what rifle/load/bullet style you intend to use. Plus your proficiency with the rifle, the type of terrain, etc, etc.

Are you using a modern style in-line that can use 150 grs powder or a "traditional" style rifle that may be limited to 100-110 grs powder?
Are you going to use a modern pointed style bullet with a sabot or a Minie style bullet? What weight?
 
My rifled Lyman deer stalker's range for swamp donkey is about the same as a 50-90 sharpes. (It probably could compete with a 50-140 but I can't).

For the most part a rifled ML's range limit is determined not by the lack of killing power it is limited by your ability to judge range and your ability to hold your sights in the right place. My range 'limit' for this years conical load is a 100 yards.

Moose lungs are a pretty large target. Any hunk of lead passing through them will convince bullwinkle that he is sick enough to lay down.

The answer to your question about info sources is: Lyman BP Manual
 
Back
Top Bottom