Shooting cap and ball revolvers.

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
Shot the 1849 Pocket Colt (far left) 10 rounds,still waiting for a new hand and spring so I had to index it by hand. The Uberti 1851 (3 from left) is finally in good shape after replacing the nipples with Ampco's and using the old ones in the Pocket Colt. The Uberti is now fairly reliable using Remington#11 caps,no misfires and the spent caps don't jam up the works anymore. This is the most accurate of all the guns in the picture.
After a day at the range a fellow CGN'er showed me his reloading setup which I will need to reload .45 Colt and .45ACP.....over all a good day at the range.

RangeAug292011003crop.jpg
 
Last edited:
:D:D:D I am moving into cartridge guns now that I have a job again. In a couple of weeks I will have an "antiqued" reproduction 1873 SAA in .45 Colt with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. Factory ammo is >$1.00 a round so I am getting into reloading at home instead of at the range. I want to reload my own black powder .45 Colt anyone have recommendations on what bullet mold to get and how much powder???
 
cap & ball guns

Skinny

Nice family of cap & ball Colts! One is never enough .....

Mine range from a .31 '49 to the .44 Dragoon with a few stops along the way.
For accuracy, reliability and strength, I prefer my Remingtons, but the Colts are 'pretty'.
This weekend our club is hosting the 1st annual "Surprisin' Smith'' (aka Mike Standbridge) Memorial Shoot to honour the late founder of CAS at our club.
The rules require cap & ball ONLY, BP encouraged, but not req'd in your long guns - this year only. In future it will be 100% BP for all guns.

We'll have Walkers, Dragoons, Navy's, Army's, one Rogers & Spencer and of course, my Remingtons. My wife will be shooting my 2nd gen '51 and borrowing another.
One stage will require the shooter to start with one of my P-H Musketoons at 'Port Arms', a sentry for Quantrill's 'Border Ruffians'. Target will be a SASS 'Cowboy' sil at 50 yds. Then it gets up close and personal with the cap & ball guns .....
 
Personally, I run an 1858 Remington New Model Army (Pietta) that sports a Kirst cartridge conversion to .45 Colt using the SAA-type cylinder, frame cutout and Richards-mason ejector rod, but it re-converts to the BP cylinder in about 10 seconds as I modified the ejector cylinder pin assembly to work liek the original 1858 pin. Very nice little package.

Interestingly, I know of a couple original antique Starr revolvers owned by friends that still have their percussion cylinders and also have custom-fitted cartridge cylinders fitted by gunsmiths back in the 1880's. Seems even back then people wanted the flexibility of using whatever they had on-hand :)
 
Skinny

This weekend our club is hosting the 1st annual "Surprisin' Smith'' (aka Mike Standbridge) Memorial Shoot to honour the late founder of CAS at our club.
The rules require cap & ball ONLY, BP encouraged, but not req'd in your long guns - this year only. In future it will be 100% BP for all guns.

We'll have Walkers, Dragoons, Navy's, Army's, one Rogers & Spencer and of course, my Remingtons. My wife will be shooting my 2nd gen '51 and borrowing another.
One stage will require the shooter to start with one of my P-H Musketoons at 'Port Arms', a sentry for Quantrill's 'Border Ruffians'. Target will be a SASS 'Cowboy' sil at 50 yds. Then it gets up close and personal with the cap & ball guns .....

Soooo looking forward to this!

Got a good start on the casting last night.... Set up the press for 45 Colt BP loads for the rifle and went over my Walkers... 12 ga BP loaded last week...

Come on weekend!!!! :dancingbanana::dancingbanana:
 
Skinny, I never tire of seeing your BP Handguns, Sweet!!! Brother.

I just have a quick question for you. In the pic on the right side you have what looks to be a brass hammer with a rubber end on it. Where did you pick that up and is it as handy as it looks or are there better hammers to have on hand. I currently use a nylon soft faced hammer I picked up at Princess Auto. It works ok but the head on your looks smaller and better suited to the task.
 
PsyEx...I found that little ball peen hammer at a yard sale..$2.00, it was nickle plated but is showing some age like some of my guns. The plastic tip on it is for metal chair legs and the cost.... $2.00 for 4 of them,they just happened to fit perfectly. Before that hammer I was using a large rubber hammer which took up a lot of room in my range box.
I noticed in another thread that you are looking for a Walker Repro, how about a range report when it shows up...I have seen a Dragoon but not a Walker and it was huge,looked like a lot of fun.
 
I have a Uberti 1860 my shooting goes click-thud-click-thud-click-bang!
I have tried various caps, CCI pinched, Remington work best but not great #10 don't fit.
Where can I buy nipples by mail order that wiil work on this gun?

Is there some brand of caps sold somewhere in the world that these nipples were intended for?
 
I bought a set of stainless steel nipples from Track of the Wolf (Part# PCC-S) for my Uberti 1851 .36 Cal. the original nipples fit my 1849 Pocket Colt so they are being used for that.
I settled on Remington #11 caps and the fit is near perfect,no more misfires and far less jamming due to cap fragments.The replacement nipples are not tapered like the original Uberti's and the # 11 caps don't fall off.
The nipples are 12-28 size,I think the 1860 takes the same as the 1851 but check with a pitch gauge before ordering.
I have a Pietta .44 Cal. that needs some new nipples as well but those are metric size.
In my original post I said that I replaced the Uberti nipples with Ampco's (Bronze) I looked at the invoice and in fact the replacements were stainless steel.
 
Last edited:
Personally, I run an 1858 Remington New Model Army (Pietta) that sports a Kirst cartridge conversion to .45 Colt using the SAA-type cylinder, frame cutout and Richards-mason ejector rod, but it re-converts to the BP cylinder in about 10 seconds as I modified the ejector cylinder pin assembly to work liek the original 1858 pin. Very nice little package.

Interestingly, I know of a couple original antique Starr revolvers owned by friends that still have their percussion cylinders and also have custom-fitted cartridge cylinders fitted by gunsmiths back in the 1880's. Seems even back then people wanted the flexibility of using whatever they had on-hand :)

Is Pietta preferred over Uberti ?...:redface:
 
That Remington conversion takes the ancient 44/100 cartridge with a heel bullet, the precursor of the .44 S&W American, .44 Russian and all the rest.

Being an old muzzleloader cylinder, it is bored straight through instead of chambered like a modern revolver. US Gummint did up a few like this as an experiment and when they got better ideas, sold these off to the troopies for $1 apiece.

This one came North with Sitting Bull's people, so we have a pretty good idea where it has been. It has been in this house for over 50 years now. It is registered as a .44-40 despite the fact that they are too fat for the cylinder AND that the conversion was done about 5 years before the .44-40 was invented. I guess the RCMP must be using a bigger hammer than I have.

Oh well, you can even get an ATT for something this terribly dangerous, so she is papered.

Guess it's time to make up some shells.
.
 
Back
Top Bottom