Surplus Ammo Quirks

cainesy

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Location
The ROCK
Hi, fellow nutz. To the point. I was cleaning some Czech 7.62x25 surplus today, which I always do before shooting it, and 2 rds out of a 1000 we're different from the rest. The bullet length was around half of what it should be,it kind of caught me off guard. I guess it was produced so fast it got past the quality control. Last spring I had a crate of 7.62x39 show up 40rds short:mad:. Anyway, the morale is to have a good peek at your ammo before you send it downrange. Be careful and happy shooting.
 
I had a round of x39 that was crooked. The bullet was pressed in ####-eyed so it stretched the neck out, and the bullet is at about a twenty degree angle compared to the case. Don't know if that is common?
 
You think its just surplus ammo? They make millions and millions of rounds and you think the commercial manufacturers don't have a bad one slip by every now and then. I just got a box of Win. 45acp about a month ago with 2 rounds pushed almost down to the bottom of the case. In 35 years I've easily had a dozen various ammo misfits including some 22 hornet that I'm sure had the wrong powder cause it split the case all the way down and blew the primer. I was young then and just took it back and got a new box, now I would have raised hell with the manufacturer.
 
Yup, happens more often than you think with commercial ammo. About 15yrs ago I pulled the trigger on a nice buck with my 30-30 and all I heard was click. Nice primer indent, but never fired.

About 8 years ago my buddy bought Winney ammo for his .270, and none of them would chamber, they were all out of spec. For the record, Winchester did send him a coupon he could use to get a new box of ammo. I should have called Winchester about my 30-30 round but never did, still have it laying around somewhere.
 
I bought some 762 x 54 a few years back. I don't know if it came this way from the factory, or if it was packaged this way from the seller/distributor. But each paper wrapped package had different 762 x 54 bullet weights in it.

So much for 880 rounds of 150 grain fmj's. More like 880 rounds of assorted 150, 184 and whatever else.....It probably doesn't matter to most people, but I like to get what I paid for (and what I bought was as advertised).
 
I bought some 762 x 54 a few years back. I don't know if it came this way from the factory, or if it was packaged this way from the seller/distributor. But each paper wrapped package had different 762 x 54 bullet weights in it.

So much for 880 rounds of 150 grain fmj's. More like 880 rounds of assorted 150, 184 and whatever else.....It probably doesn't matter to most people, but I like to get what I paid for (and what I bought was as advertised).
Likely Soviet or Yugo repack. Very common
 
I had a round of x39 that was crooked. The bullet was pressed in ####-eyed so it stretched the neck out, and the bullet is at about a twenty degree angle compared to the case. Don't know if that is common?


I'm surprised they let that one slip past; I hope you kept it. What you stumbled across was actually an example of Top Secret Spetsnaz ammo used for shooting around corners.
 
Back
Top Bottom