Remington 1875 and Springfield trap(pictures)

apu

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Location
Manitoba
New guns have arrived, a fine example of a Remington 1875 chambered in 44 Remington and Model 1873 (with 1884 cartouche) Springfield trap door in 45/70, enjoy.

rem2.jpg


rem3.jpg


rem4.jpg


spring1.jpg


spring2.jpg


spring3.jpg
 
My jaw really did just drop. :eek: wow! I'm a be saving every shinny penny I'z got ta get me a 1875. Wow, wow, wow!

I'm intrested to know more about this .44 Remington caliber thou.
 
Very nice! Is that a Buffington rear sight on the Springfield?

Cheers. Steve.

By the looks of it it is a fifth pattern 1879 "buckhorn" rear sight.
Nice looking trapdoor.
If you would like I can look it up int he serial number books to see if it is listed.
Pm me if you would like to have it searched.
Cheers
 
My jaw really did just drop. :eek: wow! I'm a be saving every shinny penny I'z got ta get me a 1875. Wow, wow, wow!

I'm intrested to know more about this .44 Remington caliber thou.

Thanks for the kind comments, I am definitely impressed with the 1875, it's a heck of a revolver. I think if I was shopping back in the day this would be my pick over a Colt SAA.

44 Remington caliber seems quite obscure. Needless to say 44 rem brass effectively does not exist. So far I have tried mocking up brass for 44 russian, 44 colt and 44 special with cast .447 diameter 250 grain heeled bullet(Buffalo sells the mould specifically for 44 Rem). Looks like russian fits the best and 44 colt might barely fit with the smallest OAL, special is definitely too long.

Alonzo, thank you but you were already kind enough to look for me a couple of months ago, alas it is not listed, regardless many thanks.
 
apu like the pictures, where do you find such nice specimens? Its funny just today my friends gunshop came into possesion of 2 rare Springfields a unaltered 45-70 Springfield model 1880 (only 1001 manufacture!!) and a Springfield 1881 Forager 20ga, unaltered. Just shows there is still gems to be found out there hiding under beds and in the closets waiting for good home's! I sure these will end up sold to some Yankee, but maybe some fellow here in Canada can make a good home for them? Story goes that Al Capone brought them up here to a lodge he use to "visit" up here in the Lakehead, but I kind of dought that he would ever bring anything other than a Tompson and 1911 with him, cheers Dale Z!
 
I like the Remy 1875 better than my best sAA Colt.
Just because there stronger and seem to shoot abit better to.
Nice looking guns!
 
I like the Remy 1875 better than my best sAA Colt.
Just because there stronger and seem to shoot abit better to.
Nice looking guns!

The only Colt SAA that might sway me is that 7 1/2 inch Colt Bisley flat top target model in 455 Eley we discussed a couple of months ago. I think I am regretting letting that one go :)

Dale, my wife would tell you I have nothing better to do but troll for guns :) But truth be told the Springfield was from the estate of a collector. The Dealer that was handling his colection knew I was looking so basically it was just good timing and some luck.
 
apu, guns are where you find them, some hidden at the old farm or cottage, and others arrive after a dealer calls to let you know what guns just came threw the door! I love your Remington, would love to see one in person some day, I think S&W and Remington got pushed to the side in the hey day of the OLD West, but I digress I still love my Colts(New Service, Officer Models) even thought they were made post 1900, good luck on your next finds!
 
Of probably lesser interest I forgot to mention that the Remington came with really old and worked holster, not sure if it's original but it sure has been tempered by time and heavy use.

rem5.jpg
 
Just in the process of working something up now. I am going to try to load to 44 Russian levels first, figure I could probably safely push the big 250 grain bullet to about 850 ft per sec in this tight solid framed revolver(nice tight barrel /cylinder clearance with virtually no end shake). I suspect using Unique as a smokeless option we are probably looking around 6+ grain. Of course I will start lower and work her up. I will post my results when I can.

I am really curious how the heeled bullet will fare, never had much succes in the accuracy dept with heeled bullets but we will see how it goes. I am hoping to surprised.
 
In my Remington Navy Model conversion I've used a .357-8 hollow base bullet with fair success in it's .375 bore. Soft lead of course & about a 600-700 FPS velocity. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new though....
 
Apu,fantastic guns ,I like the Remington ,untouched condition ,treasure her :)
I shot an origal trapdoor for many years ,good shooter but not to compare with your nice rifle ,...love the photos !
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom