New Sharps to play with

Claven2

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
417   0   2
Location
Onterrible
Picked up this wonderful "like new" toy in a trade and I must say, I rather like it. I've wanted one ever since I saw a Pedersoli 1863 in a promotional video several years ago. This one is NOT a Pedersoli though... ;)

DSCN3000.jpg


DSCN3001.jpg


It's wearing a creedmore sight and a Lee Shaver spirit level front globe.
 
Sweet! I just picked up a Shiloh Farmingdale '63 Carbine and it came with a Rapine ringtail mold. I will be casting some bullets tomorrow!
 
Yes, that's right. They take either a bullet with loose powder poured in, a paper cartridge, or one of Charlie Hahn's cardboard tubes to make a "cartridge".

Definitely a civil-war era "old-school" technology. It's not as clean, quick and conveninent as a BPCR, but has a wonderful charm all its own. I rather like it and am saddened that these don't "count" as muzzle-loaders for hunting regulation purposes in Morontario :(
 
Yes, that's right. They take either a bullet with loose powder poured in, a paper cartridge, or one of Charlie Hahn's cardboard tubes to make a "cartridge".

Definitely a civil-war era "old-school" technology. It's not as clean, quick and conveninent as a BPCR, but has a wonderful charm all its own. I rather like it and am saddened that these don't "count" as muzzle-loaders for hunting regulation purposes in Morontario :(

I liked mine Claven and somewhat miss it. Problem is, I can't own everything and new stuff keeps coming along. :(

I just poured in the powder with the gun muzzle down, you don't really need paper cartridges unless you want to make them. With the right amount (70-100 grains or so), it should just about fill the chamber, then as you close the lever, the guillotine effect will push out any excess.

I used a dowel to push the bullet in till it hit the rlfling.

Mine had a bit of a lag between cap firing and ignition...probably because I was using Pioneer BP substitute. But, that long channel through the breech block takes time for the flame to traverse.

On mine, the bolt channel cleanout screw head was buggered, but we got it out, plus I got a new screw sent from Shiloh Sharps. The hole was plugged, it was good to be able to clean it out.

I think you know to keep the breech plate well lubed with grease, CLP or whichever?

They're a funny design. There is that concave area in the breech plate area, with the cone in the middle. There is no way you are going to fill up the entire area with BP, so it means there is an air space no matter what.

That's what I've always been told, no air space with BP, always seat the bullet tight against the powder. Well, you can't with these, but they work fine. :confused:
 
I beleive that since there is no cartridge and the projectile is soft lead, the chamber expands amply to ensure there is no K-B and the nipple itself acts as a "hatcher hole" to bleed off pressure at the moment of firing.

In any event, they have been around for about 152 years now (first model to use this breech mechanism was the 1859 carbine) and you don't hear about them blowing up, so I suspect they are pretty robust and adequately designed ;)
 
beautiful Shiloh sharps ,I had the chance to purchase one with an octagon barrel in cal 45/70 a few months ago ,it was sold for 4000$ .....but not to me
 
I beleive that since there is no cartridge and the projectile is soft lead, the chamber expands amply to ensure there is no K-B and the nipple itself acts as a "hatcher hole" to bleed off pressure at the moment of firing.

In any event, they have been around for about 152 years now (first model to use this breech mechanism was the 1859 carbine) and you don't hear about them blowing up, so I suspect they are pretty robust and adequately designed ;)

Have you fired it yet?
 
Nope, but I will soon - need to cast some bullets first. I just put he creedmore and spirit level sights on this week - originally it had only blade and buckhorn.
 
I just got my Shiloh Sharps #1 Sporter in 45-70 in, after a 8 month wait. Boy howdy she's a beauty you betcha (shades of Fargo!).

Did 20 rounds up of 535 grain paper patch ammo, and hope to run out this weekend and get it dialed in for moose season.

More news to follow.

Ricky
 
Claven good luck with that. A range report would be sincerely appreciated.

I have been wanting a Sharps for ages now too, and like some of the others I have too many damned guns already that I don't shoot enough...

Do you have to mop the bores on these guns as much as you do with a front stuffer? (I only shoot black powder...)
 
Claven good luck with that. A range report would be sincerely appreciated.

I have been wanting a Sharps for ages now too, and like some of the others I have too many damned guns already that I don't shoot enough...

Do you have to mop the bores on these guns as much as you do with a front stuffer? (I only shoot black powder...)

They're much much easier to clean...clean from the breech, straight through. It takes longer to disassemble the breech block than it does to clean the barrel.
 
I suppose, I once ran into some BPCR geeks and they just stumped me. They were shooting like snipers but jeez louise - they put these plastic pipes up the spout to blow the smoke out for some reason, and they were splashing and dashing like a regular car wash! I just plunked myself down and watched - they were ringing a gong at 300 like it was child's play - with iron sights! They had more junk and tools on the bench than a mechanic has in his toolbox!

I swear, when they shot, they could swab the bore a few times, then go to the outhouse for an extended stay, clean up and come out - just in time to hear the bullet hit the gong!

I wish I had more time to enjoy the finer things in life...and this is definitely one of them...
 
So I found a useful purpose for one of my many spare Mosin Nagant ammo pouches. I now have a nice rainproof cartridge box with belt loops for me '63 sharps ammo.

I made wooden inserts to fit the pouches drilled 9/16" for the bullets - keeps them from jostling around without being too tight. The blocks themselves are tapered on a belt sander to fit snugly in the pouches.

Bullets are the Rapine .54 ringtail cast from 50/50 pure lead/wheel weight mix, air quenched. I'm all out of fffg Goex, so I used 65gn (by volume) of Triple-7 fffg in 2" Charlie Hahn tubes. Base it toilet paper glued in with Elmer's school glue and the charge is topped with a milk carton .45" card to keep the bullet glue out of the powder. Bullet is glued (elmer's) onto the tube by the ringtail. Bullet then dipped in melted 50/50 beeswax and crisco and rubbed off the driving bands by hand.

I think it should work nicely.

DSCN3035.jpg


DSCN3036.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom