India made muskets.

lyman54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
Since I already ordered one I suppose it's a moot point. But anyways what's the consensus of muskets made in India. I ordered the P53 1853 Enfield from TOTW. Couldn't resist the price as funds are low. Seems well made, but I know many have issues with anything made there. They are not proofed and Canada and the U.S. will not proof black powder as in England, Italy and Germany. Many are exported to England where they pass testing. As with almost all Indian muskets they are smoothbore. I will not go over 65grs anyhow. I'd like to try buck and ball and shot for small game. So if anyone has experience I would like opinions. Thanks
 
I've had an Indian made Charleville and it was very acceptable. Proof tested it with a double ball/double m powder charge and no problem. I don't think buck and ball is going to work well in your gun but try it anyway. Experimenting is a big part of the fun. I'd try to get the smallest buckshot you can find (maybe try BB size) as buckshot patterns best if you can get them to fit side by side in the bore. When you have to stagger them is when you get poor patterns. I'll bet that gun will shoot a patched round ball very nicely.

Cheers. Steve.
 
That gun is percussion, is it not? If so it'll require registration like any modern long gun. Being black powder, it should be exportable from the US but as for here I belive you should register it ahead of shipping.

Since I already ordered one I suppose it's a moot point. But anyways what's the consensus of muskets made in India. I ordered the P53 1853 Enfield from TOTW. Couldn't resist the price as funds are low. Seems well made, but I know many have issues with anything made there. They are not proofed and Canada and the U.S. will not proof black powder as in England, Italy and Germany. Many are exported to England where they pass testing. As with almost all Indian muskets they are smoothbore. I will not go over 65grs anyhow. I'd like to try buck and ball and shot for small game. So if anyone has experience I would like opinions. Thanks
 
That gun is percussion, is it not? If so it'll require registration like any modern long gun. Being black powder, it should be exportable from the US but as for here I belive you should register it ahead of shipping.

It's shipped without a vent hole. But I suppose that some one will get in touch with me if it needs to be registered. They are not serial numbered, not proofed and have no manufacture's name.
 
Back
Top Bottom