Inlet black available in Canada?

Hi
I attended a Gunsmithing course back in the 80s in Denver Colorado and when we were
inletting stocks for barrels and such we used Prussian Blue instead of inletting black.It is better than inletting black as it makes less mess and a tube of it can be easliy bought at any automotive supply stores.I believe it is used by mechanics to fit brakes.
One note about using Prussian blue or inletting black is to give your part a nice even uniform coat of it,don t lather it on as it was paint.
 
Hi
I attended a Gunsmithing course back in the 80s in Denver Colorado and when we were inletting stocks for barrels and such we used Prussian Blue instead of inletting black.

Yup, Gus Crites, Bob Penny, Doc Kroeckle...
 
its called a candle. light a candler and hold the metal piece just at the top of the flame and you will get black smoke. that will go onto the metal part and comes off very easy. thats what i used while inletting my muzzle loader.
 
its called a candle. light a candler and hold the metal piece just at the top of the flame and you will get black smoke. that will go onto the metal part and comes off very easy. thats what i used while inletting my muzzle loader.

Yeah, I have candles and a kerosene lamp.
 
Waterloomike I was tyered of lamp blacking to open up barrel channels, so had to order some for a Weatherby 300-378 a friend had, wanted a wood stock, so found a take of Magnum stock from Ell WoodEpps brand new, worked alot easier than lamp black, won't be using anything else anymore(gun looks great Stainless/Walnut combo). And it is excellent when I have to fit precise locks sets on fine jewelery cases. I have alot of projects for myself, but being in the buisness, seem to do everyone'else ? cheers Dale Z!
 
Magnum stock is the name of the product?

I'm not getting anything from google about it and I can't find it on Epps site?

I'd like to find some.
 
SOrry I meant I was opening up a magnum Weatherby Stock, so ordered the new inlet black from Brownells so I would not have to keep lighting up the lamp and blacken the barrel, will never go back to that method, to damb much work, when you can just order a little jar for peanuts and it lasts forever even doing a stock a month!Dale Z!
 
SOrry I meant I was opening up a magnum Weatherby Stock, so ordered the new inlet black from Brownells so I would not have to keep lighting up the lamp and blacken the barrel, will never go back to that method, to damb much work, when you can just order a little jar for peanuts and it lasts forever even doing a stock a month!Dale Z!

I'll call Brownell's today.

I heard of a new trick using a magnum sized permanent black magic marker. Gonna try that, too.
 
I heard of a new trick using a magnum sized permanent black magic marker.

The marker works well for metal-to-metal contact where there is enough friction to rub away the ink.

The marker will not work for inletting purposes. By design the ink dries. What you need is something that is closer to a paste so that it will transfer.

~~~~~~~~

Any of the suggestions in this thread that use a colored paste of some kind will work. Just do a test on a piece of your wood to check for staining or absorption.
 
Back
Top Bottom