7.62x39 Hornady SST

Hotwheels81

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Location
South of GP
Have a chance to pick up a few hundred rounds of factory loaded steel case Hornady SST 7.62x39, anybody try this stuff? How's it group in a SKS or XCR? It's $37 a box of 50 so a heck of alot cheaper then privi soft point @ $1 a bang... Online reviews say the SST bullet is decent to marginal on deer so I bet it's fine for coyotes too.

Thoughts?
 
I use it in my mini 30, shoots decent groups at 100 yrds 2-3". I took a nice whitetail last week with it as well, shot him at 75yrds he went 5 then collapsed. I always like Hornady, I use SST in my 7mm as well never failed to drop what I was aiming at.
 
Please let us know: so far none of my reloads or factory ammo beats the cheap surplus (1.5-2.5 MOA)

Best I have done is 3" 10 shot groups at 200m with the xcr and S&B surplus, I want to try some 150gr handloads and possibly some 174grain hornady .303 RN's loaded around 950fps... But that's another story...

Should be hitting the range between now and Sunday so will update it when I have a chance.
 
30rnds later.... Shoots about 2" lower then S&B, 200m group was quite nice... Shot a 10rnd group of the SST into a 2" circle and the S&B was a predictable 3"+... It's not gold medal match ammo and keep in mind the rifle I'm testing with is still new to me but I think this will be excellent deer and predator fodder.... Money well spent.
 
What were you using (make & model of gun, position, scope or iron, improvements to gun) for your 200M test? Any pictures?


30rnds later.... Shoots about 2" lower then S&B, 200m group was quite nice... Shot a 10rnd group of the SST into a 2" circle and the S&B was a predictable 3"+... It's not gold medal match ammo and keep in mind the rifle I'm testing with is still new to me but I think this will be excellent deer and predator fodder.... Money well spent.
 
No pic's, it's an iPhone billing thing :-/

Rifle is a bone stock Robinson XCR freshly broken in with 450rnds down the pipe, shooting was done off a Caldwell "tac driver" soft rest on a range desk with my trusty Bushnell 3200 x10, weather was +18ish with no wind...

5rnd strings were shot all under 1min with a smoke between mags to let the barrel cool a bit.
 
Back
Top Bottom