Advice From Winchester 100 owners on Factory ammo

cdnloki

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All.

Looking for for some advice on factory ammo for a Winchester model 100 carbine in .308. Being a semi they can be picky with what they like. I cant reload at this point. Any advice is appreciated.

thanks
cdnloki
 
I tried winchester 180gr silvertips in my 100 but it choked on them. It works better with standard 150gr SP's . I am wanting to try 165gr bullets in it for moose hunting but so far have only used 150gr XP3's. It does not seem to like the nickel plated cases of the XP3's very much either. If I can't find a good 165gr bullet to work I will handload 150gr controlled expansion bullets into brass cases. If you just need a deer load the winchester silver box 150gr SP's should be just the ticket for you, if you need a moose load try some 165's first.
 
I tried winchester 180gr silvertips in my 100 but it choked on them. It works better with standard 150gr SP's . I am wanting to try 165gr bullets in it for moose hunting but so far have only used 150gr XP3's. It does not seem to like the nickel plated cases of the XP3's very much either. If I can't find a good 165gr bullet to work I will handload 150gr controlled expansion bullets into brass cases. If you just need a deer load the winchester silver box 150gr SP's should be just the ticket for you, if you need a moose load try some 165's first.

Just looking for a deer load..So i will try the Winchester 150g sp..Thanks i appreciate it.
 
I have several of these.I have used Federal blue box 150 grain.had good luck,before using reloads.They are not as picky as we may think..gary...
 
My 100 shoots 180gr all over the paper and 150's into the same hole dammed near? Go figure so I shoot 150's..............Harold
 
all i can say is that i use the silver tip ammo in 180 in that 308 with no issues. i use the 165 hornandy in my bolt i am happy with the accuracy.
 
Back
Top Bottom