Why are the techs so hard to deal with?

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
I've been dealing with a couple techs to get a revolver deregistered. One was even the SUPERVISOR of the tech division who now isn't replying to emails. What's up with these guys? Seem like a while back it was easy to get letters and guns deregistered from them, now it's like they don't want to (or are told not to in the case of deregistering) do it?
 
Work load? Sometimes they're super on it, sometimes they're completely impossible to deal with. I also suspect that there are a few educated knowledgeable people and a lot of duds in the tech and antique group, so if you get one of the smart ones stuff gets sorted out immediately, but the rest of the time you may as well be dealing with a chimp. Plus it seems like a few of them actively dislike antique owners, or dislike firearms in general, because they get super suspicious and snarky and question why you'd want to deregister an antique, why you want them, and why you are calling at all.... they could ask nicely, but I find that their tones are very aggressive and suspicious... whether that's as a result of dealing with abusive callers or as a result of an anti-gun mindset I don't know.
 
I have been having the same problem with a collection. First emails were sent in March. Follow up sent in June, phone call in August. More emails every two weeks thereafter. Either we have p'd someone off or they are slowing down work on purpose in my opinion.
 
If the firearm in question is listed as an antique in the FRT, would it speed things up to attach a FRT printout to the formal application to deregister?
 
When I have dealt with them, one fellow who no longer seems to be available. was extremely knowledgeable and both pleasant and easy to deal with. He knew his facts and or could very quickly check them and I got a decision in minutes or as soon as I sent in photographic proof of pertinent details such as an early belgian proof or a Webley and Sons trademark.

More recently the fellow that I got did not seem to be particularly knowledgeable. He was pleasant enough but also did not want to commit himself, partly because he did not know the answer. A decision dragged on for several weeks.

As far as antique are concerned, surely there cannot be that many antiques in the system that need decisions. Not saying there are not a lot of antiques in Canada but rather I question just how many people per day or per week apply to have one deregistered. Think about the EE on here; I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 guns in any given week, that have been newly deregistered.

cheers mooncoon
 
The last time I needed their services, I emailed in the evening, and had the answer I liked by 10:00 the next morning. Some days are just better than others.
 
Start c.c.ing your M.P.'s office when asking the head of the CFC why you are awaiting a response to your March e-mail
 
The last time I needed their services, I emailed in the evening, and had the answer I liked by 10:00 the next morning. Some days are just better than others.

I'd say depends on the gun too. I imagine they want to be sure so it does not cost them their job. Best thing to dies to apply for the job by one of us who is knowledgeable in this. I have few potential candidates from here. ;Q
 
Nah, sell the Registry instead. I hear they're giving Libya $10 million to start a gun control program and pick up all those "post revolution weapons". I'd say we take the mark-down and ship them the Registry instead of tax money, and include those staff identified by us as ship-worthy.
 
Wow, got a responce today. The main guy I was dealing with said he was away. Looks like my gun is an antique and registry stuff needs to be finalized. :dancingbanana:

I still don't get why emails to other addresses were ignored.
 
I had 1 gun that was a non restricted frame changed into a non restricted rifle.. that was a pain in the rear... what’s the mag capacity.. depends on the mag I stick in it.. We need to know.... is what they said back so I said fine 110 rounds... good old .22lr... then what’s the barrel length... 10.5 that’s restricted.. I replied no its not.. They said the lowest it could be with the frt is 11 inches blah blah blah. I replied Its 36 inches overall length that's well over the 26 because of the custom stock. Took 4 phone calls and pestering them but they finally did it. (They demanded that I tell them were I got the barrel ect) I was nice they were very very pushy. You just have to know the regs tell them in a nice way this is the specs which makes it fall under blank then no issues... They might try to say its restricted ect you just turn around and go no its not it’s this get it right :p

If you can prove something it makes it allot quicker.
 
I had 1 gun that was a non restricted frame changed into a non restricted rifle.. that was a pain in the rear... what’s the mag capacity.. depends on the mag I stick in it.. We need to know.... is what they said back so I said fine 110 rounds... good old .22lr... then what’s the barrel length... 10.5 that’s restricted.. I replied no its not.. They said the lowest it could be with the frt is 11 inches blah blah blah. I replied Its 36 inches overall length that's well over the 26 because of the custom stock. Took 4 phone calls and pestering them but they finally did it. (They demanded that I tell them were I got the barrel ect) I was nice they were very very pushy. You just have to know the regs tell them in a nice way this is the specs which makes it fall under blank then no issues... They might try to say its restricted ect you just turn around and go no its not it’s this get it right :p

If you can prove something it makes it allot quicker.

They did this to me for two phone calls on the same .22lr ar build :mad:
 
Back
Top Bottom