what's wrong with this bullet?

j0w

Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
BC
I was reloading my glock mags and came across this round in a box of 9mm MFS ammo

mfs.jpg
[/IMG]

Safe to load/shoot?
 
I was reloading my glock mags and came across this round in a box of 9mm MFS ammo

mfs.jpg
[/IMG]

Safe to load/shoot?

I wouldn't. The primer is in backwards. You could get some spray from the primer if you attempted to fire it. Flame will go outwards instead of into the powder. Maybe also a hangfire if some of the flame did go into the cartridge. Dismantle it, don't shoot it.
 
That is a 'cartridge" or a "round". It is not a bullet. The "bullet" is the heavy thingy sticking out the other end of the case.

Not trying to be snarky - just teaching the correct words, so we all understand each other.

That is an upside down Berdan primer. Do not shoot it. If the primer fires (and I think it might) it can damge you breech face or firing pin. I know that from experience.
 
Further to ganderite's post...they are not "bullet heads" either, if this is factory ammo, I wouldn't buy any more of it, poor quality control. It takes no time to check a complete box of ammo for primers/primer orientation.
 
That is a 'cartridge" or a "round". It is not a bullet. The "bullet" is the heavy thingy sticking out the other end of the case.

Not trying to be snarky - just teaching the correct words, so we all understand each other.

That is an upside down Berdan primer. Do not shoot it. If the primer fires (and I think it might) it can damge you breech face or firing pin. I know that from experience.

No offense taken!

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated from all.

No more MFS ammo I guess...
 
No offense taken!

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated from all.

No more MFS ammo I guess...

I wouldn't toss the baby out with the bath water....

If your gun shoots MFS well, then keep using it if you like the price.

I've had similar or worse Q/C failures from Federal, Winchester, and Remington in both loaded ammo and components. If I gave up on these big three after each incident, my choices would be pretty limited.

Ever get a coffee from Tim's that tastes like s**t? Did you go back?....

Good observation and action on your part!

Have fun, SD
 
Send it back to the company see if you can get free stuff. I had 3 of 5 00buck shells not go off and sent an email to federal. I got $25 mail in coupon off my next purchase
 
Send it back to the company see if you can get free stuff. I had 3 of 5 00buck shells not go off and sent an email to federal. I got $25 mail in coupon off my next purchase

I think the MFS stuff is from Hungary or some other European nation that probably won't do much for you. Give it a try, but it's not a "local" maker of ammunition (North American).
 
I have seen a number of upside down primers over the years in commercial ammo. Seen a lot more in my handloads.

Anyone putting ammo in a magazine for a serious reason or a match would be wise to glance at the base of each round as it goes in.
 
I've seen many mis-manufactured rounds over the years. It happens in every manufacturing process, from food, to beer, and no doubt ammunition. Dump it in the oil tank, its not worth the bother.

Good eye, continue to inspect your ammunition before you shoot it. It will probably be many many more thousands of rounds before you find another bad one.
 
Saw a post one time of Winchester PDX's, the very same ammo used by many police services, where a couple of the cases did not have flashholes cut. Guy had the misfires, thankfully during a training session, and took the rounds apart, only to see no hole in the bottom. Every company has let some duds slip through, I doubt any company or brand has an absolute 100% record.
 
On a Berdan case, the priming anvil is intrigal to the case as opposed to the anvil being part of a Boxer primer. If you were to pop that primer cup out, it would look like fired primer. There is only a slight trace of priming compound dust in the cup. No reason to :runaway:.
 
Hmmmmm......... interesting scenario. What if you are using Czech surplus 7.62x39 that come on stripper clips where you never actually see the base of the rounds when reloading? I've never had one where the primer was in backwards but given others comments I suspect if you shoot enough it's just a matter of time till it might happen. Not the end of the world maybe in a cheap SKS but I'd be a little pissed if it were my 858! :eek:
 
I teach my guys to load mags with individual rounds and examine every round for #### ups like this. I tell them it is their points on the range and their life in the real world.

Back in 2010 I saw a batch of FN 5.56 that seemed to have a backwards primer in every can. That scared me off of using stripper clips even though I have never seen it in IVI ammo.

Would I use stripper clips if time is a factor? Yes, but if I have the time I will load by hand and discard dented or otherwise junk rnds.
 
I dont think that its a back to front primer,as noted above,you can see the integral anvil with the 2 flash holes,normal for a berdan case,it looks as if there is still some primer wall still present,just not the back of the cup of the primer,as if part of it broke off when being seated.Not sure how that happened tho.
 
I teach my guys to load mags with individual rounds and examine every round for #### ups like this. I tell them it is their points on the range and their life in the real world.

Back in 2010 I saw a batch of FN 5.56 that seemed to have a backwards primer in every can. That scared me off of using stripper clips even though I have never seen it in IVI ammo.

Would I use stripper clips if time is a factor? Yes, but if I have the time I will load by hand and discard dented or otherwise junk rnds.

While I hear what you're saying that's fine if you're taking loose ammo & loading the stripper clips but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet almost nobody takes surplus 7.62x39 that comes on strippers to begin with, strips them off to inspect & then reloads them. Having said that I do not recall anybody mentioning reversed primers with the Czech surplus so maybe it's a non issue but as others have said odd are sooner or later ther will be a snafu. I guess we are each our own ammo control board! :cheers:
PS .... sorry to get slightly off topic as I know we were talking about MFS which I have yet to try.
 
Back
Top Bottom