R & D cylinder conversions for 1858 remmington

Garyg

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen many web sites from the USA advertising these cylinders to convert the pieta and uberti 1858 remminton .44 black powder to .45 colt long. I have never seen these on Canadian web sites. It would be nice to have one.
 
Kirst ships to Canada. R&D has been bought out by Howell and are now sold under that name - not sure if Howell ships here or not?
 
I checked and Kirst does ship to Canada. I was thinking about a .45 colt cylinder but then I was not sure if you could fire commerial hard cast bullets let alone jacketed. I remember reading that you could only fire pure lead from a black powder revolver. That would mean you would have to cast your own using impossible to find lead. I gather you would have to use reduced black powder loads.This would be for a pietta 1858 remmington.
 
You should be fine using any commercial cast bullets, not sure about jacketed stuff but it would probably be fine too... The issue of pure lead comes into play when shooting balls in the traditional fashion... If you were to use proper sized balls cast of a harder alloy it would put too much strain on the loading lever mechanism during loading possibly causing premature wear or damage to the loading linkage..
 
These cylinders are also good for standard cowboy loads with smokeless... There are quite a few shooters at my club that run these cylinders and they typically shoot light loads with 200 to 250 grain bullets with Trailboss, Titegroup and Unique...
 
I used to shoot 235gn hard cart round nose bullets through my Kist .45LC cylinder with Hodgdon cowboy data - no problem at all. They are designed for jacketed factory cowboy loads. Anything un-jacketed is no problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom