sighting in my Lyman 50

Bluffton Bill

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Camrose
How is this possible? I lined it in at 50 yards and with a 6:00 hold put 3 in the bull. At 100 I'm 6" to 8" left.......re-sighted it to be on a one hundred and now I'm 3-4 " right when I move back to 50 yards. Could it be the crown? Or maybe my astigmatism??

I'm shooting sabots with a 1 in 48.

Open sights are a riot:rolleyes:
 
I don't see how it can be. I would set up a bench and bags and try to be consistant with each shot. Shoot then wipe the barrel with a wet patch then a dry one and reload and try another shot. If I were you I would forget about sabots and shoot round balls. I have had 2 Lymans and they both shot round balls very well, I still am using a .54 Trade rifle.
 
You didn't say whether you're shooting through a scope or open sights. But in any case my guess is that your sights (or scope) are not centered over the barrel of your gun. Assuming your sight trajectory was perfectly parallel to your your bullet trajectory then you'd always be either to the right (or left) of the bull's eye. And in order to get a bull, say at 50, you have sight at an angle to the bullet trajectory. So it follows that if the distance changes you'll always be off.
 
You didn't say whether you're shooting through a scope or open sights. But in any case my guess is that your sights (or scope) are not centered over the barrel of your gun. Assuming your sight trajectory was perfectly parallel to your your bullet trajectory then you'd always be either to the right (or left) of the bull's eye. And in order to get a bull, say at 50, you have sight at an angle to the bullet trajectory. So it follows that if the distance changes you'll always be off.

That makes sense. I had a front globe and Lyman Peep sights installed.....rather crudely.

Wonder if I can true it up myself. Thanks for the idea
 
Back
Top Bottom