Rare Find! NWMP Enfield MKII Revolver and have constables name

dingus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
363   4   0
Location
B.C
I have found a Few NWMP enfields but this is the frist with the constables info on the gun as well.
Gun was on Charge to G Division (fort Saskatchewan) from 1888 - 1892 it was issiued a regimental number to a constable D Mcgall

Constable David Mcgall served in the NWMP from april 29th 1885 untill april 28th 1891.
He was entitled to the North West Canada Medal.

he died aug 7th 1931

I have more info comeing but it makes the gun more intresting haveing the constables name tied with the gun. a freind of mine picked this up for me in the US i am glad to get it back to Canada as we dont have alot of guns that are tied to our history. very few really.
Im gona have to read up on everything NWMP related and see what he did to earn the rights to that medal and why it was never claimed by him as far as any records show.
Anyone have any info to add that they have maby read let me know please.

The guns in ex condition minty bore and chambers locks up great still in SA and DA
always liked theses guns being as it was one of the frist guns i ever bought as antique.

P1010015_63.jpg


P1010010_64.jpg


P1010013_65.jpg
 
Last edited:
That's a great gun, and I for one would like to hear any further info you can get on it. Knowing the history behind anything is always a great thing, and is all the more real when you can hold something in your hands and know that it was there.
 
Dingus

Always a pleasure reading your posts and seeing your latest acquisition. Not my cup of tea, but it fascinates me none the less.

Thank you.
 
If the constable was entitled to a North West Canada medal it means he served through the Northwest Rebellion of 1885. By his date of when his service started, I suspect he was one of the new recruits brought in specifically because of the rebellion.
 
Did you try Don Klancher to see if he had any info Nice peice I always liked my ugly Duck as well.
 
Last edited:
Did you try Don Clancher to see if he had any info Nice peice I always liked my ugly Duck as well.

I contacted Don Klancher.
Yes Don found me the info as i paid his fee for research as you never know what you have if its in the Book he wrote its worth the fee to find out who carried it.
not every gun has the constable listed just some so i was just lucky really.
This is info thats not in the book.

I have alot of info on McGall already,,, he was from tamladoff county derry ireland born may 1861.
info i got from the internet on him and NWMP Personal records.
Im getting a cert From Don listing the info and guns ser # with David McGalls name.
 
Last edited:
I've never seen one of those before ... andI have to say, I think that is the most beautiful cylinder on a wheel gun that I have ever seen :)

Thanks for sharing, and I agree, it is very good to have it back in Canada again.
 
If the constable was entitled to a North West Canada medal it means he served through the Northwest Rebellion of 1885. By his date of when his service started, I suspect he was one of the new recruits brought in specifically because of the rebellion.

I will have to check this out, read up on the rebellion.
 
If you haven't already, check the link below. Searched his name and the link is where his info starts. Info corresponds with things you said above like 1885 being date of service so I'm assuming it's the right person.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/...e_nbr=1&&PHPSESSID=6fuik8b0igh8f6borj9co1vgc1

49 pages of info on him. Scans of enlistment records, applications etc.

Hi Yes i found that last night and printed off most of it.
The letter at the end is intresting he had no kids to pass anything onto left everything to his wife.
But thats alot of info on one person from so long ago.
I want to find out why he was awarded the northwest Canada Medal as im sure they dont just hand them out to anyone.

Theres gota be a intresting story there and what woulda happened when he left the NWMP in 1891 the gun would have returned back to service as the NWMP used theses Enfield MKIIs till about 1902
 
Hi Yes i found that last night and printed off most of it.
The letter at the end is intresting he had no kids to pass anything onto left everything to his wife.
But thats alot of info on one person from so long ago.
I want to find out why he was awarded the northwest Canada Medal as im sure they dont just hand them out to anyone.

Theres gota be a intresting story there and what would've happened when he left the NWMP in 1891 the gun would have returned back to service as the NWMP used theses Enfield MKIIs till about 1902

I got through about 1/2 of it. I'm on dial-up and those sites are very slow to load so it took me forever to get that much loaded. I followed through out of curiosity. I enjoy old documents and histories.

I don't know where or how you'd get more info on him. Records were poorly kept then, and it's kind of amazing there is that much on him.

It's interesting to note as well that he signed up with a home town of Stratford, lived in Alberta after his service, then apears to have been buried in Athens ontario? Seems an odd connection. Athens is about an hour from Ottawa. I wonder if anyone there would know anything about him? Tall order I guess. Would have been nice if he had some family, but then they might want to get the revolver from you siting a family heirloom.

Beautiful revolver by the way. I just read an old "guns and ammo" atricle on those last week.

I spent two years searching the regimental number of a badge I have from my father (RCMP Ret'd). I was in contact with the RCMP historical society in Regina. They were able to trace the number for my father and came up with a member from 1885 (at the same time I found the archives info). It wasn't the right owner of the badge in the end, but making the point the historical society might be a good step to try. I do know who owns the badge now.

We ended up donating some of my fathers things to the society and museum. He had some stuff they had been looking for.

We had a video of a ceremony in 1973 at Depot Division (consecration of the new [and current] guidon [battle flag] that was apparently the only copy of the video in exsistence and the RCMP was apparently unaware there even was a video. A CBC production. Had it converted to DVD and sent to them.

Rambling. Sorry. Interesting stuff, history.
 
Back
Top Bottom