has anyone ordered a baker rifle from one of these suppliers and whats the quality ?

allday2ll

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Kemptville Ont
the companies are, track of the wolf, loyalist arms,military heritage, and middlesex arms. they all seem to have a rifle they say are baker repo's . just wondering about the quality of each or are they all india made drill out wallhangers? thanks for all and any info ...
 
the companies are, track of the wolf, loyalist arms,military heritage, and middlesex arms. they all seem to have a rifle they say are baker repo's . just wondering about the quality of each or are they all india made drill out wallhangers? thanks for all and any info ...

I have one on the go. It's being rebarrelled with a new, American made rifled barrel, whenever the gunsmith gets around to it. Thus far I have not seen it and can not speak to it's quality. Looks like it will be months.

They're all made in India. Only Loyalist AFAIK sells proofed, drilled, functional models, but all of them are smoothbores. (which IMHO kind of sucks...a Baker is a rifle, n'est-ce pas?)

BTW, you have your preferences set to not receive private messages, which does make it hard to communicate with you.
 
Last edited:
...this is based on your extensive experience with them?

based on this
Barrelsplit1.jpg
and this
barrelsplit3.jpg
this is not the only gun that has had a lose fitting breech plug this one is held in by the tang screw only the barrel split down the weld

the locks are vary slow and there almost always not lined up with the touch hole

there a waste of money id go and buy i kit from the rifleshoppe rather then waste money on one of these indian imports you get what you pay for

thay slavege the meterals from what ever thay can find it looks like the one in the pic was made with common fences post type tubing(visable weld running down it)
 
camerl2009 - as you know, the remains of this 1970s made musket was examined by HP White Labs, and a metallurgical examination of the barrel was done. It was determined there was nothing wrong with the metal. It was also reported that the barrel was bulged several inches in front of the breechplug at the open end of the crack. This is indicative of an obstruction. You report a loose fitting breechplug, held in only by the tang screw. That is a complete and utter fabrication.

Did you inspect this musket before or after HP White Labs did?

As Canton reported, Loyalist Arms only sells proofed, drilled, functional models.

You have solicited orders for custom made muzzleloading guns here and elsewhere. Would you please post photographs of guns which you have made.
 
I have an India made smoothbore P53 Enfield from TOTW. I had to drill the vent hole, no biggy. Love shooting this musket, quite accurate out to 50 yds. Haven't tried further. Usually load 60gr of RS. These are not wall hangers just because they are inexpensive and made in India where muskets have been made for a couple of centuries. Teak is used for the stocks, it was good enough for aircraft carrier decks and current large yachts. I'm familiar with the exploding musket. I have heard of exploding guns from other manufacturers also. If you never clean them and let the crud build up anything will eventually let go.
 
Oh and by the way. India does not have facilities for proofing black powder. Neither does the U.S. or Canada. Britain does and requires proofing on all guns being imported. When you buy any gun it has not been proofed individually, unless it's done like Loyalist Arms. Usually 1 gun is taken from a run and tested then destroyed.
 
Yes.
These photos and the HP White Lab report have been posted elsewhere. The barrel was examined for metallurgical faults. None were found. The barrel was bulged, out beyond the field of the photos. Note that the split gets larger further from the breech, closer to the bulge. The failure did not start an the breech, and run foreward. In started down the barrel a ways, where the barrel is bulged, and spread rearward. Almost invariably, a bulge is the result of a barrel being fired with an obstruction.
I had a collection of failed modern rifle barrels when I was running my shop. The owners wanted the most dramatic ones as souvenirs, the others I gave to a firearms course instructor as teaching aids. The most violent was a PH .30-06 barrel fragmented into 5 pieces, the rifle was gone from the receiver ring foreward. Most spectacular were a Savage and a Sako barrel, split from muzzle to breech. Snow, snow and mud. The tips of the Savage muzzle were 14" apart. No one was injured.
 
I ha an Indian Charleville that came without the touch hole drilled. I had the hole drilled by a smith and proof tested it with 140 grains of 2F powder and double balled the gun. It was then strapped to a rimmed tire and set off with a long lanyard (retractable dog leash). The gun passed in flying colors. By the way,the smith did a thorough examination of the gun and remarked on the quality of the fit and finish and the workmanship in the lock.
All in all a good reliable gun that I owned and shot (not from my armchair) for years.

Cheers all. Steve.
 
first off thank you cantom for telling me about my account setting not allowing private messages,I did fix it. silly me just playing with the buttons. so, correct me if I am wrong ,but from your comments so far, loyalist arms are the only company that drills out and test proofs their firearms before shipping them? seems like they might be a good choice. they are a bit more expensive then some of the others , its possible this is the reason .
 
first off thank you cantom for telling me about my account setting not allowing private messages,I did fix it. silly me just playing with the buttons. so, correct me if I am wrong ,but from your comments so far, loyalist arms are the only company that drills out and test proofs their firearms before shipping them? seems like they might be a good choice. they are a bit more expensive then some of the others , its possible this is the reason .

Bingo! You won't go wrong with Loyalist.

The gun will be a smoothbore though.
 
yes,its a smooth bore but,I have a great plains hunter flintlock in .54 cal and also a traditions Hawkins flintlock in .50 cal ,so I have a few rifles to chose from. I really want the baker in 62 cal smooth bore so I can shotgun hunt with it. it's slightly larger then the min 20 gauge allowed for turkey, also I could use it for other bird gaming and also rabbits now and again. will contact loyalist arms and see what about the rifle . thanks to all who offered advice and opinions .
 
Back
Top Bottom