9mm gr what do you run?

Gopher Slayer

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm thinking I may buy a Sig 226 9mm soon. I was just wondering what gr. Of bullets most of you run in your guns. What does your pistol perfer. I see most bulk packs are either 115gr or 124gr.
 
It doesn't matter what your bullet weight is so long as your pistol will feed them and they hit on your sights. Don't get all hung up picking fly #### out of pepper when in the end it won't make much if any difference to you shooting unless for some obscure reason your blaster hates a particular ammo. It can happen but not nearly as much as people let on; lots of folks just need to have an excuse for a poor grasp of the basics.
 
I was reloading 115gr for a while, the local store ran out and I have been using 124gr bullets and I don't notice a difference at the range. Keep in mind that I am #### at the range so ymmv.
 
9mm is sold by the pound, heavier = more $$$

147s boot a bit

115s are cheap and easy to control

Takes alot of rounds to get good with a pistol... Buy the cheap stuff for practice and the bigger stuff for fun/practice

My .02
 
Thanks. I don't own any pistols so wasn't sure how much bullet weight plays into things for them. I know my rifles there is a noticable difference between 168gr and 175gr matchkings when I'm trying to punch the smallest groups I can. But then again its at a long range.
 
if you are talking loaded ammo,...147gr is preferred. 147gr has the same approx PF as 124gr but velocities are reduced. I found the 147gr has better sight recovery than the 124gr.
 
if you are talking loaded ammo,...147gr is preferred. 147gr has the same approx PF as 124gr but velocities are reduced. I found the 147gr has better sight recovery than the 124gr.

147 gr for me, less perceived recoil at the same power factor. i did a video comparison of the 124 i was shooting and the 147 i now shoot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvnAxGmw6o

I prefer the 147's in my 226, and my wife also prefers the 147's in her 239. To us there is less snap with the heavier bullits.

But both our sigs have shot anything we've put through them with no problems. So while we have our preferences our guns do not.
 
If you don't reload, buy all the different cheap ammo you can find, in all weights, and shoot each of them at 15 yards, and save the targets.

What you want to note is groups - does one weight or brand group better than others?
- and, most important on a pistol with fixed sights, does it shoot too highh or too low?

You might find that only the 115 or only the 147 shoots to point of aim.
 
Back
Top Bottom