Wheel weights hard on barrels?

For those who follow the theory that a softer material cannot possibly wear on a harder material - please explain the principle behind water jet tools used to cut steel plate... maybe it's "hard" water?? :p

The theory is true, but the example is not a great one. The water cuts because it's incompressible and at extreme high pressure. A better example is paper - cut a few sheets with a sharp knife and it becomes dull. So much for paper-patched bullets not affecting a bore. In fact they wear a bore more than a lead alloy bullet.
 
I thought I'd try out a bullet made from a wheelweight yesterday - the accuracy was awful and it damaged the bore. I recant! What's all this talk about it being a good choice?

Wheelweight_in_Cartridge_Funny.jpg

Well, what did you think would happen without lube on that boolit??:p
 
I actually have access to a lot of zinc wheel weights. I'm going to try to melt them together into a few ingots and cast some bullets out of the zinc alloy.

It won't happen for a few months and may just be a complete failure but if it works well, it may just be another source for casting material.
 
Jbunny (I think) did this with varying results. One thing is to pour the zinc/lead mixture with the mold being held on a vibrating hair clipper, the other problem he had with it was real bad fowling. I think he was pushing his bullet from a 240gr. mold over 2000FPS so his lube might not have been up to snuff.
I to with time intend to dabble with this but with things like shotgun slugs and buckshot, or other things that don't ride the bore.
 
The theory is true, but the example is not a great one. The water cuts because it's incompressible and at extreme high pressure. A better example is paper - cut a few sheets with a sharp knife and it becomes dull. So much for paper-patched bullets not affecting a bore. In fact they wear a bore more than a lead alloy bullet.

Paper is a poor analogy too. Paper is hard, not soft. Glass is harder than most metals yet wiping glass lenses with paper products will damage them.

Water jets don't cut because of the incompressibility. It's due to friction which is a product of water speed caused by the pressure differential through the jet. You can do the same thing with gas but it doesn't cut nice straight lines like water does.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom