the best 308 long range ammo

York

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
GTA
What is the overall best 308 ammo for long distance and knock down power.

Just bought a Rem700 tactical heavy barrel 20". Trying to figure what's best to shoot out of it. My club has a 1000 meter range.
 
My 24" barrel .308 got along well with Federal Gold Match 168gr factory ammo. As tiggr said, the stuff you roll yourself will be much better (and cheaper, too).
 
154 gr Scenars Lapua out of your 20 inch, launch at 2880 fps they should stay supersonic up to a 1000 yards, but those are very long bullet so the twist should be 11.25 or faster... Cheers. JP.
 
Long range (1000 yards) and 20" barrel do not mix well.


My 1000 yard 308 has a 32" barrel.

To maximise your range, you want a very good BC. Try some VLD bullets in the 155 to 180 gr range.

Didn't think I would be hitting much over 700 or 800. Just thought I would mention the possibility of the 1000 yard attempt.
Thanks for the info. This is my first 308.
 
Are you talking targets only? As others have mentioned, targets and hunting are 2 different beasts. I guess if you find 2 bullets with near identical BC's and configurations, some load testing will tell you if they hit close to the same point at extended ranges. 1,000 yards is awful far for hunting with a 308, though, unless you're after small to medium critters like 'yotes. I'd like to try my 308 on bears out to about 600 yards, but I'm still at least one season away from being able to do that.

Damn, I'd love to have a dipper come out and show me how to shoot at those ranges, because from what they seem to say, simply owning a "sniper" rifle guarantees 12-mile kills.
 
I made hits at 1350 m with my 308 and a 26 inch barrel with 155 scenars out the muzzel at 3050 fps. But this was well past the ability of the bullet as there was very little consistency past 1100 m . Tigrr can back this claim up I belive that a 185 or heavier bullet would have been a little better but can't say for sure. Will test it out at the 308 to a mile shoot soon enough here
 
Back
Top Bottom