how to load HC .32L RF

m-134

Regular
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Location
Thunder Bay, ON
I just got 5 of the HC collection .32 long rimfire shells for Xmas from my brother (since i plan on getting a SA .32rf revolver soon). i want to either load them up or just get all the stuff i will need so im all ready, but i cant find any true load data for them so i was wounderingg what colour of .22 nailgun cartridges shoud I use with what type of blackpowder?
 
I am curious as well wrt 32 RF

For antiques, what are you guys shooting?

If the H&Cs, as per original post, what colour are you using?

If old ammo, any issues with it being too hot for the old antiques?

Thanks
 
http://32rimfire.########.com/
Below are some H&C cases with .22 acorn blank,filled the case with fffg Goex BP and .315 dia. round ball
Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg
 
I am curious as well wrt 32 RF

For antiques, what are you guys shooting?

If the H&Cs, as per original post, what colour are you using?

If old ammo, any issues with it being too hot for the old antiques?

Thanks

All of the smokeless .32RF ammo produced was only loaded to BP pressures.

The curve is a little sharper but if you have solid frame .32RF guns, it doesnt affect them. The pressure curve might loosen up a hinge gun like the S&W's over time, or it might not depending on the gun.

I shoot all of mine on occassion with CIL/Dominion and Navy Arms ammo with no issues.
 
All of the smokeless .32RF ammo produced was only loaded to BP pressures.

The curve is a little sharper but if you have solid frame .32RF guns, it doesnt affect them. The pressure curve might loosen up a hinge gun like the S&W's over time, or it might not depending on the gun.

I shoot all of mine on occassion with CIL/Dominion and Navy Arms ammo with no issues.

Thanks. This answers the question re smokeless. I've got a baggy of 32 kicking around somewhere and am acquiring a No 2 Army which I plan on shooting of course.

Just noticed CdnProspectors link there too! As follow on to your experience with H&C

1.What powder charge you loading
2.Any problems with indexing them using your S&W shown in the pics?
3.How is your accuracy with the round ball?

Thanks again for the great info guys
 
to answer your questions, 1) powder charge is just fill the case and leave just enough room for the primer. (NO AIR SPACE!!)
2) no problem indexing on my gun. 3) my gun shoots about 2"-3" with .315 round ball at 12 feet all well centered on a head size target. this tightens up with 00 buck but i needed to pass them through the sizer end of the H&C die. This will make a flat on the side of the ball that matches the outside dia. of the case(.319-.320) which may explain the tighter groups
this is better than what i shot with the H&C bullets that came with the reloading kit. also remember that this gun was strictly a defensive weapon for gamblers , and ladies. I understand that most gun battles of the day were at approximately that range. Also the sights on these old timers leave a lot to be desired, more of a point and shoot gun so closer is better, and despite claims of .32 being underpowered 5 shots from point blank would ruin anyone's day. I will try to get some pic's of the groups and post here.


Thanks. This answers the question re smokeless. I've got a baggy of 32 kicking around somewhere and am acquiring a No 2 Army which I plan on shooting of course.

Just noticed CdnProspectors link there too! As follow on to your experience with H&C

1.What powder charge you loading
2.Any problems with indexing them using your S&W shown in the pics?
3.How is your accuracy with the round ball?

Thanks again for the great info guys
 
Thanks. I would like to see the pics.

Re the indexing, I thought I read that the H&C cartridges need to be indexed to permit proper strike on the acorn.

Are the acorns that you are using colour coded like the .22 ramset ones?

Am I correct that you are not using any lube with the round balls and/or swaged 00 buck?

Lastly, I take it then that their ain't much point in buying the H&C bullets.

Thanks for the assistance, its always better to learn from someone who has been there vice the ole trial and error technique. I will make this gun a shooter!
 
are there any canadian online stores that sell the acorn blanks? ive read on another forum on google that some people just use the winchester .22 short BP blanks as a primer for these, has anyone here tried it and how good do they work?
 
I understand what u mean now regarding indexing , the H&C case does need the primer on the outside when loaded in the cylinder so the firing pin reaches( picture above clearly shows this). some have said the case can turn in the chamber but i have not had this experience

here is the link where i buy my blanks
no color coding

http://www.canadiangundogsupply.com/Blanks-Ammo.html

i don't use any lube with the round ball,I don't shoot enough at one time so leading is not a big issue, and I clean my gun meticulously after even just one shot. I am sure you could fill the chamber space in front of the loaded round with a lube like in a cap & ball revolver
 
Thanks for all this Prospector. You provided some great details here.

I guess my last question is with respect to your overall charge.

That is, what type of charge does the acorn bring to the game? Just wondering if the acorn plus the powder charge might be hard on the old guns?

Thanks again
 
Thanks for all this Prospector. You provided some great details here.

I guess my last question is with respect to your overall charge.

That is, what type of charge does the acorn bring to the game? Just wondering if the acorn plus the powder charge might be hard on the old guns?

Thanks again

The .22 acorn charge is so miniscule I wouldnt worry about it. Some people are loading these HC cases with mild unique smokeless charges with good results as well.
 
Fair enough. I did notice on Prospector's link that the 32 Longs has the acorns opened up and the powder removed. ie they load BP only

I am not sure I know enough about how to open them up safely though

I did order up the 32 RF kit from H&C so will give it a try.

I had the 11mm kit from them and it worked good enough for the amount of shooting I did with my 1873.
 
I have not slugged the bore to size it, hollow base would be worth a try, I have no source for them here, the round ball is the easiest to get
my gun is a Belgian made S&W 1-1/2 second issue copy made approx 1870
 
Yeah the hollow base would probably hug the bore better with BP obviously, with unique ect. though would be meaningless I figure.

I just have issues with shooting my cartridge revolvers with BP, with all the nooks and crannies, working parts, ect. BP just seems like asking for trouble.

The fact that we can own "cartridge" handguns without the confiscation list is a miracle, I don't wanna go rusting them up with corrosive ammo.

Thats just my opinion though.
 
You ever try trail boss in your .32? and if so is it noncorrosive? black powder is really messy for sure


Yeah the hollow base would probably hug the bore better with BP obviously, with unique ect. though would be meaningless I figure.

I just have issues with shooting my cartridge revolvers with BP, with all the nooks and crannies, working parts, ect. BP just seems like asking for trouble.

The fact that we can own "cartridge" handguns without the confiscation list is a miracle, I don't wanna go rusting them up with corrosive ammo.

Thats just my opinion though.
 
Last edited:
I shot BP out of my 1873 and snider-enfield. It certainly does cause a mess but nothing a post shoot good celaning doesn't address.

Having said this, I have gone to TB for my 44 SAA. Have yet to fire it with these TB loads as of yet but when the weathe gets a bit better...

Noted that Bullet Barn has 32 RN bevelled base. They are 78gr and .312 dia. Not holllow based but maybe a good option depending on bore size
 
Back
Top Bottom