Colt S.A.A. complete restorations in Canada?

DANCESWITHEMPTIES

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Tried a search here with no luck. Does anyone know if there is a smith here in Canada that does a 'Doug Turnbull' quality of restoration on Colt S.A.A.'s ? I mean charcoal refinishing, fire blueing, restamping, the full meal deal... I have to ask before I go through the process of figuring out how to get it down to the States & back with minimum fuss if I end up going through Turnbull. I Know it ain't cheap & could take a year or better, but the heart wants what the heart wants....
Has anyone used Turnbull here?
 
I don't know of anyone who does full restorations in Canada. If the revolver is antique there will be no licensing or permits required to send it to the USA and back again, but if it is not antique status it will be much more complicated.

I bought a junked 1880 vintage 44-40 SAA in the USA. It had a non-original plating job so there was no collector value. I had the seller send it to a well-known SAA gunsmith who rebuilt it in .44 special.

The only original parts left are the frame and some screws. It has been tuned and trued and the sights regulated to 20 yards. The action is smooth as glass.

It did cost some $$ but worth it IMO. My wife is convinced it looks brand new - I may have neglected to tell her it cost 4 times more than a new one would. :redface:
 
Last edited:
Agreed, a very nice restoration. Can a 44-40 cylinder be properly reamed for 44 Special?
Don't have my cartridge book handy... Or was it to, a replacement?
 
Not a secret, just respect. The gentleman is a private individual who may not care to be named in a public forum without his knowledge or consent. I will ask him. If he says it's OK, I'll post it.
 
Last edited:

Really. The regulations prescribing antique status pertain to the current chambering configuration only. All of these antique SAA that you see on the EE chambered for .45 acp, 44 special, 38 special - where do you suppose they came from? None of those cartridges were even invented yet in 1897 so any antique chambered for those cartridges has to be a conversion. ;)
 
Really. The regulations prescribing antique status pertain to the current chambering configuration only. All of these antique SAA that you see on the EE chambered for .45 acp, 44 special, 38 special - where do you suppose they came from? None of those cartridges were even invented yet in 1897 so any antique chambered for those cartridges has to be a conversion. ;)


Ok. I'm interested in a pre 1898 73 SAA from the US but most of the guns are in the calibre's that make them restricted in Canada, so you are telling me I can get one imported in the restricted say 44-40 or 45 colt long etc,(made before 1898 of course) have it converted to 41 colt or 455 eley and then get the RCMP will change the status from restricted to antique? once the gun is converted to the non taboo calibres? Are you sure? If so that would be great.
 
Ok. I'm interested in a pre 1898 73 SAA from the US but most of the guns are in the calibre's that make them restricted in Canada, so you are telling me I can get one imported in the restricted say 44-40 or 45 colt long etc,(made before 1898 of course) have it converted to 41 colt or 455 eley and then get the RCMP will change the status from restricted to antique? once the gun is converted to the non taboo calibres? Are you sure? If so that would be great.

Yes.
 
There's a member here who has bought a restricted from a reputable Canadian shop & had their smith re-sleeve the sh!t bore & cylinder to a 38 Special. Sent the info to the R.C.M.P. Tech's and had it unregistered, as it now fit within their guidelines as an antique.
That thread 'stickeyed' at the beginning of this forum is an excellent starting point to the most asked question on here...
 
My under standing is that although they can be rechambered they cannot have originally been in a perscribed caliber.

That is incorrect.

Matters what the caliber IS, not what it was at one time.

Buy a 44-40, that is old enough to qualify, buy a 44 Special cylinder, and have it properly fitted and tuned up, and you are good to go. Antique.

Put the 44-40 cylinder back on it, and you are setting yourself up for a hurtin'. Not Antique. Restricted or Prohib (barrel length).


Silly, pointless, and convoluted, but that's the rules.

Cheers
Trev
 
Last edited:
My under standing is that although they can be rechambered they cannot have originally been in a perscribed caliber.

Where did you get this from?

I know this "understanding" didn't come from actually reading the antique regs, or criminal code. I know it did not come from discussion with the people at the CFP since they routinely accept what you say they can't.

I'm interested to know the basis for your understanding. I was told a lot of crap in gunsmith shops and gun stores. For years I thought it was illegal to shoot an antique unless it was registered, because an "expert" in a gunshop told me that. Turns out he was was just talking out his ass. We need to be careful where we get our information from.

So how did you get this "understanding"?
 
Back
Top Bottom