Factory 22-250 Not Chambering (UPDATE post #19)

riderpride55

Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
Calgary
I bought a 40 round pack of Winchester varmint 22-250. 4 out of the 40 will not chamber in my new Tikka T3. all of the dimensions are at or below spec according to my reloading manual. what do I do with the ammo? I have virgin brass for reloading, so I will not be using the brass. what are you thoughts?:confused:
 
Last edited:
I would certainly pull the bullet and empty/toss powder and run through a full length sizing die and then reload along with your other empties(once fired). Not using the once fired brass has me stumped.
 
~ Clean the chamber.
~ Clean the bolt face.
~ Make sure the ejector moves freely.
~ Make sure the extractor moves freely.
~ Make sure the bolt is able to close on an empty chamber.
 
~ Clean the chamber.
~ Clean the bolt face.
~ Make sure the ejector moves freely.
~ Make sure the extractor moves freely.
~ Make sure the bolt is able to close on an empty chamber.

And when you have done all that (presuming that you've had ammo work through the rifle before), call Winchester.
 
I would be coating them in a light powder (like the chalk for carpenters string) and chambering them to see where the issue is - if there is a dimension thatis out, it will show as a rub in the chalk.

I would also be calling Winchester and informing them of the issue.
 
found the problem; first, my micrometer was not zeroed.

The brass is too long by 6 thou according to my reloading book. and 10 thou longer than the other unfired brass in the box.

Not keen on pulling the bullet as I don't need the brass. I would rather keep the 4 rounds in the current state and taking it up with Winchester. I did not see any contact info on the Winchester web site. I guess they don't want to hear from guys like me

Not using the once fired brass has me stumped.

Not a fan of Winchester Brass, case in point. I bought new federal brass to reload. I will use that brass until its worn out.
 
At least they are long in the rightplace ... easy enough to pull them and trim them.

I love the Win brass for my 223. Good life, and easy to work with.
 
The same reason I don't shoot a Norc 1911, or AR15, or drive a F150. I don't tend to follow the masses. I'm not most guys.

why not use the win brass.most guys around here prefer it over federal brass.

Thanks for the tip of the day, does not help my problem.

The box of ammo has no lot number, or contact info.

Does anyone have any contact info for Winchester?
 
Rider pride?

The same reason I don't shoot a Norc 1911, or AR15, or drive a F150. I don't tend to follow the masses. I'm not most guys.



Thanks for the tip of the day, does not help my problem.

The box of ammo has no lot number, or contact info.

Does anyone have any contact info for Winchester?

Do not tend to follow the masses.Handle says otherwise.Drive a Chev do we?
 
or this

How can I contact Winchester? Before you contact us with a question or comment, please take the time to look over our Questions and Answers section and see if the answer resides there or use the search function at the top of the page to try and locate the information you are looking for.
All other Winchester products: Most ammunition questions can be answered by visiting Winchester Ammunition's website. Their website is located at: www.winchester.com
Firearm Information: If your question hasn't been answered in the Frequently Asked Questions and it is a question about manuals, catalogs, & products please call our Consumer Department directly at: 800.333.3288 or 801.876.2711 & for Parts & Service call: 800.322.4626
Web Information: If your question is in regards to the Internet site itself, send an e-mail to: webmaster@winchester-guns.com
Winchester Repeating Arms is always pleased to receive your comments and suggestions about the products and services we provide. However, any information you provide through this website, letters, telephone calls, any Winchester Repeating Arms e-mail address or any other means whatsoever, including but not limited to ideas, suggestions, notes, drawings, concepts or other information, will be considered non-confidential and the property of Winchester Repeating Arms. Winchester Repeating Arms may use any and all submissions without restriction.
 
Thanks for the leg work. the info below is for the gun side. the Ammo site does not provide this info. I do have enough contact info to get going. Thanks again

or this

How can I contact Winchester? Before you contact us with a question or comment, please take the time to look over our Questions and Answers section and see if the answer resides there or use the search function at the top of the page to try and locate the information you are looking for.
All other Winchester products: Most ammunition questions can be answered by visiting Winchester Ammunition's website. Their website is located at: www.winchester.com
Firearm Information: If your question hasn't been answered in the Frequently Asked Questions and it is a question about manuals, catalogs, & products please call our Consumer Department directly at: 800.333.3288 or 801.876.2711 & for Parts & Service call: 800.322.4626
Web Information: If your question is in regards to the Internet site itself, send an e-mail to: webmaster@winchester-guns.com
Winchester Repeating Arms is always pleased to receive your comments and suggestions about the products and services we provide. However, any information you provide through this website, letters, telephone calls, any Winchester Repeating Arms e-mail address or any other means whatsoever, including but not limited to ideas, suggestions, notes, drawings, concepts or other information, will be considered non-confidential and the property of Winchester Repeating Arms. Winchester Repeating Arms may use any and all submissions without restriction.
 
Every box of ammo has a lot number.
RecallNotice.jpg

lotnumber.jpg
 
I was about to say that the inside flap of an ammo box should have a lot number for exactly the reason you have.

If there is a serious defect, they can try doing a recall. Happens from time to time.
 
update

well I have been in contact with Winchesters agent in Canada. I ended up sending them (collect) the 4 bad rounds and 6 good rounds at there request. in return I got a $25 gift card for Winchester ammo for my troubles.
 
Back
Top Bottom