Colley & Co 12 Gauge SXS

Giblet

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
113   0   1
Location
Sutton, Ontario
I have just inherited this shotgun, and cannot seem to find any info on it. The only markings on it are that of "Colley & Co." The only info I have is it was in a cardboard box describing it as a "1800's colley double barrel with demascus barrels" I'll try and get some photos up.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Photos:
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0085.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0083.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0081.jpg
 
Last edited:
Photos added, anyone have any ideas? 26 1/4 inch barrels I've taken it around to a bunch of shops. The only info I've gathered is it has British proofs on the barrels.
 
Hammers both hit a bit high, but those firing pins are really loose too so they're a little lower than they should be. If they have been replaced it was many moons ago, this girl hasn't seen the light of day in probably 50 years and I cant even guess when it was fired last. It was a strange story behind this one, I got it from my grandpa who had borrowed it from a friend, who happened to pass while my grandfather had it. Sat in his basement ever since.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0154.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0155.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0156.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0160.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0161.jpg
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g445/chris_gibbs24/DSCF0162.jpg
 
Yeah, no it's not Tolley I can read Colley fairly clear on it. And I'm sure this one has stories to tell, it is by no means in any sort of collector shape. It has had some repairs and alot of incorrect screwdrivers used to service it. As well as a dent in one barrel and the lockup is far from tight.

Now here's a question, In the close up I took of the markings on the barrels you can read the letters E.R.W does anyone know if there is a chance that that could stand for Electric Resistance Welding as that could date this a little newer than I originally thought.
 
Now here's a question, In the close up I took of the markings on the barrels you can read the letters E.R.W does anyone know if there is a chance that that could stand for Electric Resistance Welding as that could date this a little newer than I originally thought.

I know nothing about ERW but would presume it to occur well into the 1900s. I think it is significant that the gun appears to be open bored. After 1875, stamps such as "not for ball" or m 15 b13 or a C in a diamond were used to indicate choke boring. I can't see how the forend is fastened but if it is fastened with a barrel key (a flat cross pin through a slotted tenon on the barrel) that would be another indication that the gun was built in the mid 1860s to mid 1870s timer period. I am pretty sure I can see indications of damascus pattern in the photos although by the same token, damascus barrels were sold up until about 1930.

cheers mooncoon
 
The side lever was in use in that 1860-1870 era as well, after that most went with the now familiar top lever. I wonder if this is not another Belgian maker using a name very similar to a more famous british "best" gun.
 
The side lever was in use in that 1860-1870 era as well, after that most went with the now familiar top lever. I wonder if this is not another Belgian maker using a name very similar to a more famous british "best" gun.

That does not explain why the gun appears to have only Birmingham proof marks. If the gun was made in Belgium and shipped to England where it was sold, it should carry both belgian and british proofs.

If you take the point of your knife and scrape a short distance of the soldered seam between the barrel and the under rib (do it under the forestock) , if the seam showed brass then I would be suspicious that the barrels were made in Belgium but shipped in the white and perhaps unfinished to the UK

My guess is that Colley was a small Birmingham gun maker although I can find no reference to him in the book by Gardiner

cheers mooncoon
 
My guess is a Birmingham gun, made for a retailer, and marked with his name.
Quality unknown, but looks middle of the road, appropriate for exported guns.
The "14" marked on each barrel implies 14 gauge, IMHO.
Nice wall hanger, maybe even the odd light BP load if firing pins are replaced (keep the old ones)
Leave the old patina, just clean it up gently (no 90 grit!)!!!
Have fun.
 
Quality unknown, but looks middle of the road, appropriate for exported guns.
The "14" marked on each barrel implies 14 gauge, IMHO.
.

If the gun is chambered for 12 guage shells, then the 14 refers to the bore only. In british guns a bit later, 12 guage bored 13 at the breach was moderately common

There was a 14 guage shell although I don't recall seeing any guns chambered for them. Many years later there is a Greener Police shell which has a 12 guage base but a 14 guage body but that is very different from the earlier 14 guage hunting shell

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for the input guys, A 12 gauge shell drops into it fine but I have no intentions of ever shooting this one. As for the finish I keep it oiled up but I kind of like the dirty discoulored look of it, I'm working on making a shadow box to hang it in.
 
Interesting. I know (from researching a different maker) that there was a "Colley & Co." listed as an agent for sales in London, at 4 Lombard Court, circa 1895. Some notable makers apparently used them. The name also shows up in association with fly fishing equipment, indicating that they were probably sporting goods brokers. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. Researching the old guns is what makes this such a fascinating hobby.


Sharptail
 
Yeah I have stumbled accross that address before. Also on the land between the barrels you can vaguely read "Colley & Co. London". As far as I can see this was likely made by another company and branded by Colley
 
Back
Top Bottom