Custom muzzleloader

chasseur

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
90   1   0
Location
, Nova Scotia
Have a chance to buy this a custom allan boxlock muzzleloader in 62cal
what da ya think.
1.jpg
 
It looks like a home made job. All the parts are currently out there and not worth a ton of money. I vaguely remember seeing a kit from one of the dealers.

You can currently get a new Sharron .62 cal barrel with the rib/dovetails etc for 225 over on ALR.

I couldn't find it but I think the action is a 200 dollar item? the furniture is hardly worth a 50 dollar bill.

The stock on that doesn't strike me as being particularly well done or overly pretty. The poured nose cap gives it an initial 'cool' look but it is a 10 dollar bar of pewter and some heat. It is easy to find a forearm size piece of wood with that stripe but the builder did not chuck the bucks for a matching butt stock which smacks of low brow-ness, Kind alike a tart with a push up bra , too much makeup and a huge caboose. The eye gets drawn to the fore-stock/nose cap but pretty quickly that butt stock comb and mushiness make the whole works aggravating to behold. Just saying this cause I do not think a really good builder would mix pieces like that.

The black finish? Is it duracoat or some other spray finish? Leaves me suspect to the smiths background LOL. I apologize if it is a well done blacking job but the fact that the patch box, trigger guard butt plate match perfectly leaves me suspicious?

If you can get it for dirt cheap and if you have a want for a 350 grain ball chugger by all means it will flatten any beast in nova scotia but I'd hold out for a nicer gun.
 
If you like it, and the price is right, go for it! Personally, there is something not quite right about it. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems "mismatched". However, that's just a question of taste. I like shapely, big-busted women, but not everyone does.:D
 
To my eye it's a nice looking gun, very authentic looking for its time period. If it fits you, and you like it and the barrel looks good, go for it.
 
very authentic looking for its time period

not so much. It looks exactly like what it is a cheapish modern reproduction of a genre of historic arm.

If a smooth bore it would certainly be a useful multi-purpose firearm.

It is almost certainly rifled. It also looks like a straight barrel and not swamped as such it will be nice for shooting offhand as a rifle but will carry like a crow bar with a hunk of concrete on one end and will not bring much joy with shot. A 62 cal smooth bore is a fantastic all round gun but not with that barrel/stock.
 
Back
Top Bottom