I picked up a 1858 Yataghan Sword Bayonet for my two band Snider Enfield the other day.
It has warts and pimples, but for 150+ years old it is worthy of a restoration. Before everyone gets excited, I mean to save it from a poor restoration.
First it has tons of markings.
The blade: Crown over VR, WD Arrows, Crown over E over 23.
Scabbard Leather: WD, Crown over E over 58, WD with Arrows
Scabbard Frog Catch: WD over Arrow over 270
Leather Grips: Crown over E over ??
Guard: 1.G.A . 166
So I know it is was produced under Queen Victoria's reign and that it has many proof marks. I am assuming the Guard marking is a Unit/Battalion etc.
If anyone has some pointers, that would help.
Sad part, some rust with patina. Some fool put silver rust paint on some areas. I will remove with a quality antique paint remover and warm water. The same fool put glue on the leather scabbard to secure the two metal covers. Luckily, the glue has chipped right off. The fool also painted the leather brown for some reason. I want to remove the paint and am scared that the paint remover could damage the leather, any ideas?
Thank you
It has warts and pimples, but for 150+ years old it is worthy of a restoration. Before everyone gets excited, I mean to save it from a poor restoration.
First it has tons of markings.
The blade: Crown over VR, WD Arrows, Crown over E over 23.
Scabbard Leather: WD, Crown over E over 58, WD with Arrows
Scabbard Frog Catch: WD over Arrow over 270
Leather Grips: Crown over E over ??
Guard: 1.G.A . 166
So I know it is was produced under Queen Victoria's reign and that it has many proof marks. I am assuming the Guard marking is a Unit/Battalion etc.
If anyone has some pointers, that would help.
Sad part, some rust with patina. Some fool put silver rust paint on some areas. I will remove with a quality antique paint remover and warm water. The same fool put glue on the leather scabbard to secure the two metal covers. Luckily, the glue has chipped right off. The fool also painted the leather brown for some reason. I want to remove the paint and am scared that the paint remover could damage the leather, any ideas?
Thank you


















































