My great Grandfathers shotgun

2legit

Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
BC
Hey CGNer's, Just got my PAL a couple years ago and my dad passed his guns on to me. One was his .22 he bought when he was 16 and a 30-06. But whats really cool is my great grandpa's 12 guage. It's made by American Gun Co. has an early serial number. but thats about the extent of my knowledge on it. The only thing I'm good at searching the interweb for is cars and ####, so if anyone knows anything more or knows of a link i can start from would be cool.

Also I would like to deactivate it so I can hang it on the wall in my bar room. How do I do this? Can I just grab the firing pin with pliers and pull it out of the action or do I need to actually take the gun apart to do this?

anyways here she is, enjoy!


CIMG2841.jpg

CIMG2845.jpg

CIMG2846.jpg
 
Several operations including grinding parts and permanent welding all done by a Licensed Gunsmith are necceassry for a legal de-activation.
 
well thats it, i dont want to weld anything or grind anything off of it, i dont want to devalue the gun and never said that. I just want to hang it on the wall and from what I know is its gotta be locked or deactivated of some sorts. so is it capable of that without welding it or grinding it? Thats why i was asking how to remove the firing pin
 
well thats it, i dont want to weld anything or grind anything off of it, i dont want to devalue the gun and never said that. I just want to hang it on the wall and from what I know is its gotta be locked or deactivated of some sorts. so is it capable of that without welding it or grinding it? Thats why i was asking how to remove the firing pin

rendered inoperable. Taking out the fireing pin or trigger lock. But as I type a don't think you even have to do that to just hang it on a wall.
 
Check the storage and display reg for individuals ... you can display it wihtout destroying it.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-209/page-3.html#h-6

An individual may display a non-restricted firearm only if it

(a) is unloaded;

(b) is rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device or is in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and

(c) is not displayed with and is not readily accessible to ammunition that can be discharged from it.

So, hang it on the wall, use a cable lock to secure it to the wall (less intrusive than a trigger lock, and if it can't be removed from it's place of honor, it can't be operated to be loaded) and use some common sense ... don't hang it in your living room where every numpty on the street can see it.

Whatever you do, don't destroy it, even a little bit :( Leave it in firing condition.

In a "man cave", in the basement with no windows(common sense, not law), a trigger lock and leave it laying on the bar ... perfectly legal.
 
i am definatly not going to eff it up. I want to talk about it and show it off not ugly it up or make it worthless. maybe just a cable lock then and secure it to the wall.
 
For a display that would not have it looking "secured" as much as most, and have it look like it's "in action" I would be doing the following.

Obtain one empty, fired, 12g hull, with 1/4" hole drilled in the side of it just above the brass.

Open gun and insert hull into breech. Feed cable through barrel, through hole in shell, and have the cable go through the mounting board and put the lock on the backside of the board (or right through the wall if you wanted to).

This would lock the gun and prevent it from being loaded, lock it securely to the display rack, and also leave the locking cable as "invisible" as possible.

I think the old single shots look nice when they are displayed "open" ... shows the lines and angles of them better in my opinion.
 
Looks an awful lot like an Iver Johnson Champion. They made shotguns for a few distributors in the last century. Looks like you need a trigger guard, should be not too difficult to find.
 
Back
Top Bottom