Winchester #12 Shot

A few years back some how I ended up with two bags. I tried it in some 12ga target reloads and it was pretty useless .I ended up mixing it with some no. 9 shot just to use it up.
Not sure what purpose it would have. take care
 
Sorry guys i'm talking about Winchester #12 Shot .22 LR



If it is the same as the CCI shot for the 22 it will not kill anything. I had a rat living in the roof of the barn and could not get him with a trap and didnot want to shoot a 22lr up through the roof so loaded my semi 22 with that cci birdshot. I hit him 6 times under 5 yards and didnot kill him. I eventually got him in a bucket of water with feed sprinkled on the top.
2006554.jpg
 
There are also a lot of dogs around so I don't really want to use traps or poison.

Rat traps, the wooden ones that look like giant mouse traps. Pick them up at Revy or Rona, etc, for 3 or 4 bucks. No dogs will be harmed.

Those 22 "rat shot" as they were called years ago are just this side of useless past 6 feet. My old man used to buy that stuff for me to play with back in the 60's...Geez, I miss the good old days:(
 
At one time you could find the odd .22 that had a smooth bore, meant for shooting this stuff.

I suppose, if you were feeling the need, you could ream out a barrel for this. At least you wouldn't be qualifying yourself for an unpleasant visit from the Feds here in Canada, as you would in the States.

Might be good use for a take-off 10-22 barrel.

My experiences with them when I thought they might be cool and useful, showed me that they were neither. Expensive, and not much use out of a rifled barrel. A couple shots for pattern, on cardboard at a dozen feet or so, will sort out the results, if you gotta see first hand.

Surprising that they are still available.

Cheers
Trev
 
At one time you could find the odd .22 that had a smooth bore, meant for shooting this stuff.

I suppose, if you were feeling the need, you could ream out a barrel for this. At least you wouldn't be qualifying yourself for an unpleasant visit from the Feds here in Canada, as you would in the States.

Might be good use for a take-off 10-22 barrel.

My experiences with them when I thought they might be cool and useful, showed me that they were neither. Expensive, and not much use out of a rifled barrel. A couple shots for pattern, on cardboard at a dozen feet or so, will sort out the results, if you gotta see first hand.

Surprising that they are still available.

Cheers
Trev
The olds smooth bore 22's were part of a mini trap shooting set called mosquito, complete with tiny little clays. Was back in the 1950's and claimed it was for back yard use....again I miss the good old days...
 
The olds smooth bore 22's were part of a mini trap shooting set called mosquito, complete with tiny little clays. Was back in the 1950's and claimed it was for back yard use....again I miss the good old days...

IIRC there were some smooth bores in the reprint of the Sears Roebuck Catalog that is out there. The guys didn't invent them in the 50's by any means.

They just never were as popular or common, as the rifled guns.

Cheers
Trev
 
There are also a lot of dogs around so I don't really want to use traps or poison.

Rat traps, the wooden ones that look like giant mouse traps. Pick them up at Revy or Rona, etc, for 3 or 4 bucks. No dogs will be harmed...

You could also place the traps away from dogs, such as up a tree. You would still have to worry about birds and cats. Better yet, you could place the trap in a confined area where only squirrel sized animals can access, such as the middle of a 6" or 8" pipe. But I think it's still more fun to shoot them darn tree rats! :evil:

Yeah, those .22 shot rounds are more of a novelty. Only good for mice at 5' or less.
 
You could also place the traps away from dogs, such as up a tree. You would still have to worry about birds and cats. Better yet, you could place the trap in a confined area where only squirrel sized animals can access, such as the middle of a 6" or 8" pipe. But I think it's still more fun to shoot them darn tree rats! :evil:

Yeah, those .22 shot rounds are more of a novelty. Only good for mice at 5' or less.

Yeah those "tree rats" are a real pain in the ass. They hang around our bird feeders so they should be easy pickings for the most part. One has been spotted inside our Farmhouse, I think that I will use one of those larger metal cages(the ones for coons, etc) to get him.
 
What I used in my old large barn was a .410 with #4. If it wasn't fired close or directly at bare tin sunlight would not peak through the roof. Pellets have been known to bounce back even off of wood though.
 
I used it years ago inside an attic to kill some pigeons stuck there when the landlord replaced a broken window. Enough to knock them down so I could wring their necks.
 
Back
Top Bottom