Nepalese Brunswick Rifle

Steppenwolf

Moderator
Moderator
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I decided to get one of these rifles after seeing Claven2's restoration thread on Milsurps. I don't expect to do a good a job as he did, but I will give it a try. Just under $595 to my door from Atlanta Cutlery. I will endeavour to get the Yakmoline off of it this week. I will update as I work along. Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully accepted.


bwjdk.jpg

jsbt3o.jpg

14e1j5y.jpg

2002zqq.jpg

Not one piece is missing, everything is there woopee:)


Edited to add: I have one of the Model 1841 36" barrel smoothbores which is fun to shoot but accuracy is m.o.e., the e is for elephant.
 
Last edited:
I'VE ALWAYS wanted one but that looks like some crazy amount of cleaning Look like a great project good luck to you .
 
If you don't mind me asking what did they charge you for the shipping?
they just started selling these on gunbroker i was thinking of buying one of these or the M-1878 Martini Henry Short Lever
 
I have purchased several of those IMA "Untoutched Rifles".
Moslty 1853's, the two versions of the Brunswick and the two versions of the Martini.

The first resource I had was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttKI1-Qa9Y where a guy cleans an 1853 IMA Enfield. After some attempts I took his ideas and adjusted them.

Use a mixture of sponges, fine steel wool and copper wool (does not remove original bluing or browning).
You can use a degreaser in warm water, varsol or as in the video "Easy Off Oven Cleaner". Believe it or not, the Easy Off works very well with a sponge.

One decision you need to make. These rifles have an oiled stock but a black jungle paint over top of the wood. Do you want an oiled stock? Or the jungle paint? I don't know if the paint was just for storage or actually used. If you use too many solvents or too much Easy Off you will remove the jungle paint, but will get a nice wood finish. I have finished rifles with the jungle paint still on and some I have gone down to the oiled wood.

They are a fun project and the bayonet is a great bonus.

Cheers
 
I've got to ask when done will it be shootable ? shooting one of those big belted balls looks like fun.
 
I have cleaned the metal and stock. The mainspring is broken and the stock needs repair.

2090hfb.jpg



2vttx8o.jpg

Just a couple of cycles of the ultrasonic cleaner, and a brush to get the Yakmoline. I dry the parts in the oven set at 170 degrees and while still warm and dry I hit them with WD 40. I don't use WD 40 in the oven, my Wife frowns on it:)



33e1sle.jpg

The nose of the stock with the piece of Enfield sporter stock I will use to repair it. This will be a challenge!


28sskdi.jpg

This piece was cracked and broken before I cleaned it and I have the wood to replace there. The long horizontal crack that is visible goes through to the exterior.

23vn8m0.jpg

Here is the lock, still needs work. I have another Brunswick parts rifle which I may just swap springs or I will use the other lock. I am leaning to swapping springs just to keep the main parts that are original to the rifle with the rifle..

169g66r.jpg

Interesting thing, besides another crack, is this ramrod retaining spring. I didn't expect to find one as my other Brunswicks don't have them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom