I decided to take my late father's .50 cal Hawken rifle out to the range today. The rifle has not been fired in about 15 years so I decided it was time to blow the dust out of the barrel.
Black powder firearms was never my thing but my father got into it while working as a consulting engineer near Redding, California back in the late 70's. Back then, it seemed to me a lot of time & work just to fire off one shot. Not to mention the smoke & clean up afterwards.
Fast forward to 2012. I'm digging through dad's 'possibles bag' and came up with all the ingredients to load the rifle. I decided to toss the patch lube because it looked like axle grease. I picked up some nice smelling 'bore butter' made by Thompson Centre to lube the patches. I also purchased a container of Pyrodex RS because there was only enough black powder left in the can for one shot (maybe).
I have done a little research prior to heading out to the range. I set the powder measure to 60 grains and pour in the Pyrodex. Damn, I almost forgot to snap off a couple of caps before dumping in the powder. After snapping two percussion caps, in goes 60 grains of Pyrodex. Lubed up a patch and started a ball down the barrel.
Not sure how tight to pack the patch & ball against the powder, I pushed until the rod stopped then gave the rod a little extra push to make sure there was no gap between the powder & ball. I pulled the hammer back to full #### and carefully placed a percussion cap on the nipple.
I had already set up a target at about 60 yards down range. With the music from the movie Jeremiah Johnson playing in my head, I pulled back on the set trigger then touched off the front trigger.
When the smoke has cleared, I could see I had a nice .490 hole in the centre of the target right where I was aiming. I spent the next two hours firing off another 14 rounds. I'm going to spend a lot more time firing off dad's muzzle loader from now on.
Now for a couple of questions. I have heard I can get a little more velocity with Pyrodex P instead of Pyrodex RS using the same number of grains. Is that true?
and
The percussion caps are destroyed during firing. I mean the caps are split wide open. Is that normal? The nipple is correct for the firearm as far as I know.
Cheers.
Black powder firearms was never my thing but my father got into it while working as a consulting engineer near Redding, California back in the late 70's. Back then, it seemed to me a lot of time & work just to fire off one shot. Not to mention the smoke & clean up afterwards.
Fast forward to 2012. I'm digging through dad's 'possibles bag' and came up with all the ingredients to load the rifle. I decided to toss the patch lube because it looked like axle grease. I picked up some nice smelling 'bore butter' made by Thompson Centre to lube the patches. I also purchased a container of Pyrodex RS because there was only enough black powder left in the can for one shot (maybe).
I have done a little research prior to heading out to the range. I set the powder measure to 60 grains and pour in the Pyrodex. Damn, I almost forgot to snap off a couple of caps before dumping in the powder. After snapping two percussion caps, in goes 60 grains of Pyrodex. Lubed up a patch and started a ball down the barrel.
Not sure how tight to pack the patch & ball against the powder, I pushed until the rod stopped then gave the rod a little extra push to make sure there was no gap between the powder & ball. I pulled the hammer back to full #### and carefully placed a percussion cap on the nipple.
I had already set up a target at about 60 yards down range. With the music from the movie Jeremiah Johnson playing in my head, I pulled back on the set trigger then touched off the front trigger.
When the smoke has cleared, I could see I had a nice .490 hole in the centre of the target right where I was aiming. I spent the next two hours firing off another 14 rounds. I'm going to spend a lot more time firing off dad's muzzle loader from now on.
Now for a couple of questions. I have heard I can get a little more velocity with Pyrodex P instead of Pyrodex RS using the same number of grains. Is that true?
and
The percussion caps are destroyed during firing. I mean the caps are split wide open. Is that normal? The nipple is correct for the firearm as far as I know.
Cheers.


















































