45-70 trap door things n stuff

Klunk

R.I.P
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Location
Niagara region
So...

I picked up a bunch of 600 (!) gr bullets at the Ancaster show...

I dont even have loads listed anywhere for this bullet weight-any suggestions?-bp or smokeless?

also-what is a good lube that I already have in the house?....wax-parafin wax?....spmething else?

Thanks!
 
600 grain bullets???? Holy smokes. Maybe not intended for the Trapdoor and more of one of those Creedmore style rifles.....

Thats a big bullet. Post a pic?

yaa........was thinking of 'snipping' the tip to try to get them down to 500gr

heres a picky

DSCF2944.jpg
 
Wowza. No crimp groove, definitely look like one of those bullets they would handload at the bench during a shoot and seat it far enough forward in the case so that it would engage the rifling and I assume improve accuracy. Like Alonzo said, Sharps or other single-shot style bullet type.

Thanks for the pic Klunk!
 
Its a version of the NASA bullet, bascially its purpose is more powder room. Buffalo arms makes a mould similar it. http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=160243&CAT=4157

Monsters like that are used for long distance target shooting, if you go smokeless I have good success with a mix of toilet bowl wax(1 ring), graphite(around 2-3 scoops im not to particular here) and a spoonfull of ATF, if black powders what youl use youl have to go with one of the beeswax mixes.

The toilet bowl wax mix works well in my 45-70 with the lyman 535 postal loaded over reloader 7, but that bullet has more lube grooves which may be part of the reason it leads so little.

You probably want to use black on that particular beast. Your overall length is going to be extreme with that bullet. The problem with that bullet is it carries very little lube and if it runs out of lube it can lead, and so some guys wipe the bore each shot with that number.

That particular bullet in the picture is cast very poorly (lots of rounded edges and uneven fill out). Save that one for remelting if your thinking of using it for a longer shot.
 
Last edited:
the big issue will be whether or not the rifling will stablize the bullet. Try 4 or 5 shots at 25 yards and you will know right away if they are tumbling. I would stick with black powder because you can be sure it will keep your pressures within design limits

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom