New .348Win brass is available at Higginson Powders.
Tradex sells new 8mm Lebel brass which also works.
I've had good results with both, as well as some Starline .50-70 Gov't that I got my paws on from the U.S.
For the first two: I anneal first, then lube and flare using RCBS .38/.357 mouth flaring die, pushing all the way to, but not past, the threads on the male part. Hack-saw to length, trim and camfer, anneal again, lube and form with .50-70 mouth-flare die. I only split two cases out of 25 doing this, and that was because I forgot the first annealing! Even with those, I could cut and trim a little short (41mm)
For my m/1867 (12.7x44R military config, 34" barrel):
- I had to trim cases to 43 mm length.
- The base of the Lebel brass is a bit smaller, so I put two wraps of 1/4" wide masking tape.
- The re-formed .348Win brass is thick at the new .50-calibre mouth, so seating a boolit that's too big (> .515") will expand the case so it won't chamber in my gun. I didn't feel like pulling those (experimental) ones, so I sanded the case so it would fit. In future I will not try with anything bigger than .515".
- The rim on the .50-70 is too wide to chamber in my gun, so I trimmed it down by chucking each case in a drill and spinning the rim against a fine file.
My first loads for testing were 7-10gr each of Unique and Trail Boss, with boolits of 385gr, 440gr, and 525 gr, all SOFT lead. I used Lee alox on some and bore-butter on some others. I had to test them at an indoor range at 25 yds. Accuracy was surprising. At first I just held offhand and didn't much care, but after the first bunch, I shot off sandbags, and five shots struck within a 2" circle. Recoil and report were almost laughingly light, but after all it is heavy and long-barreled. I recovered some of the lead afterwards, and could still smell the pine-scent of the bore-butter.
I have loaded some with between 30-40gr Pyrodex with the same boolits, using milk-carton wads and crisco-beeswax cookies, but they'll have to wait until I can get to an outdoor range.
It's a lot of work but still fun. I can't wait to get started on my m/1867-89 in 8x58RD !
Probably thinking of the 348 Win. Not that they are terribly easy to come by either. The 50-70 is where most people start from what I have heard.