71 Mauser question.

Barnaby

Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was just wondering what a decent price for a solid shootable condition mauser 71 would be nowadays. All the prices I have seen seem to be from 4 to 5 years ago when I search. Anyways, any input would be greatly appreciated!

- Barnaby
 
Sporterized or original? I have a nice sporter brought in by Bannermans in the early 1900's which shoots great but has minimal collector value. Sporters tend to be $300-500 while originals tend to start at about double those prices....
 
Are you looking for a single shot or a repeater? The single shots fetch a considerably higher price due to their antique status and scarcity compared to a repeater. Although with the gun registry going this may change things a little. If you have a PAL you can get much more for your dollar. As stated already, rifles that have been cut down go very reasonably priced so if you are on budget that may be the way to go. I am not sure were you would go to get brass and bullets. Anybody have any sources out there?

Cheers. Steve.
 
Thanks for the replies guys, I would be wanting to pick up a single shot. Its really only that much for a sporter though? thats not bad at all, I might just have to pick one up. I know on Ellwood epp's site they say they carry .43 mauser brass, but I haven't called or wandered over there yet to find out.
 
Keep your eye on the CGN equipment exchanges. I got a very nice sporter in the hunting rifles EE of all places...So you should check out that EE and the milsurp and black powder/antiques exchanges.

Cheers. Steve.

Thanks for mentioning Elwwood Epps. Gotta check that out.
 
Thanks for all the replies guys! I really think they are quite a nifty rifle so I think I might just grab one when the chance arises.
 
And let us know if you find some brass. I've got one I'd like to start shooting.

the 71 does not require rebated brass; you can use 45-70 cases with black powder loads and resized off course. They will baloon out a bit and they are about .1" short but they do work

cheers mooncoon
 
Jerry from mystic precision was able to get Bertram brass, nice brass but should be annealed before first reload.
 
Trimmed to size, 45-90 cases work very well.

All the Bertram .43 mauser brass I have gotten from Jerry showed colours in the neck from being annealed already. So it appears to me.
Any way, re-annealing couldn't hurt.
 
So 45-70 and 45-90 will work for .43 Mauser?
I fired this thing when I was young, there were a couple of original rounds, and I still may have one or two.
Just a little on topic ####...:D
43Mauser05.jpg

43Mauser04.jpg

43Mauser02.jpg

And no, I won't take $200 for it.
 
Yes both 45-70 and 45-90 work.
The 70's are short and there is nothing to be done about that (they still work fine). The 90's are too long and just need to be trimmed back a bit.
Anneal both (the 90's after trimming) and FL size.
 
Trimmed to size, 45-90 cases work very well.

All the Bertram .43 mauser brass I have gotten from Jerry showed colours in the neck from being annealed already. So it appears to me.
Any way, re-annealing couldn't hurt.

You would think they would anneal the new brass for the price they charge. I just remember reading a bunch of internet scuttlebut about these new cases splitting. Sure enough annealing my new cases made it way easier to run through the reloading dies.
 
Bertram brass is made in Austalia in pretty small quantities because there isn't all that huge a market. We buy it because we have a market and NO supplier since 1968. Nice brass, too.

The brass is expensive already in Australia. Then it gets shipped here.

The myocardial infarction gets added to each box at the Importer level, I am told.
.
 
Just for your information Century International in Montreal sold the 71 and 71/84 for $19.95 plus $3.00 shipping (by rail) in 1966. These were pristine surplus rifles - by the time my $23.95 got there they were sold out.
 
pay attention to bore diameter. Nice to not need a paper patched/heeled bullet. Great rifles too bad about the lack of gas handling though.
 
Just for your information Century International in Montreal sold the 71 and 71/84 for $19.95 plus $3.00 shipping (by rail) in 1966. These were pristine surplus rifles - by the time my $23.95 got there they were sold out.

I think that may be were my cherished 71/84 originated from! Its condition certainly fits your description anyway. There are no regimental stamps or markings anywhere on the rifle so it appears to be unissued. It has a beautiful European walnut tiger striped stock and the bore is pristine. These rifles are an example of excellent workmanship and attention to detail. Even the screw have serial numbers stamped on them! Well....the last 2 anyway....!
 
Back
Top Bottom