That was fun.....

I would stick with 3 F black and I would not worry about overpressure. I have shot 70 grains and more out of my .50. The 3F will give you much less fouling than 2F.

For target shooting I would use moose milk which is water soluable cutting oil and water and you can clean your barrel with hot water no soap.

For rust protection I use Fluid Film which is a light spray on grease / oil that does not evaporate and does not migrate down in a vertical barrel

Buy your patches by the meter from Fabricland and take a micrometer with you. Diaper material makes excellent cleaning patches

Bore butter and other greasy lubes are OK for hunting but increase fouling when target shooting where you are firing a lot more shots than when hunting

cheers mooncoon
 
I would stick with 3 F black and I would not worry about overpressure. I have shot 70 grains and more out of my .50. The 3F will give you much less fouling than 2F.

For target shooting I would use moose milk which is water soluable cutting oil and water and you can clean your barrel with hot water no soap.

For rust protection I use Fluid Film which is a light spray on grease / oil that does not evaporate and does not migrate down in a vertical barrel

Buy your patches by the meter from Fabricland and take a micrometer with you. Diaper material makes excellent cleaning patches

Bore butter and other greasy lubes are OK for hunting but increase fouling when target shooting where you are firing a lot more shots than when hunting

cheers mooncoon
Some nice tips, thanks mooncoon.

I know about moose milk and I use to drink it on occasion :D. Not the same moose milk of course.

How do you feel about Pyrodex RS?
 
I was given a can of Pyrodex several years ago and not impressed with it. It went bang etc but it is not something that I would go out of my way to buy

cheers mooncoon
 
Putting WD40 down your barrel will displace any remaining water (WD= water displacement) down the barrel and breach but do not think that it will protect your bore. A better product is G-96. It will remove water but will leave a protective film. If WD-40 is the only thing you have then follow up with a patch with gun oil. Good idea firing a couple of caps to blow out any oil residue. I have a couple of guns I have to store upside down for a few days after cleaning otherwise the channel gets plugged and even firing some caps will not remove it. Look around for some black powder. I don't like Pyrodex as it is very corrosive. Your 50 should be able to use either 3F or 2F but I would stick to 2F.

Cheers. Steve.

I'm waiting for it to arrive as a spray-deodorant scent !....:redface:
 
Back
Top Bottom