Guns at the Royal Ontario Museum *pic heavy*

IAMAWILDPARTY

Regular
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
GTA
I was at the museum the other day and took a few pictures of some of the guns I liked the best. Thought maybe some of you folks might be interested to see what's on display there.

I took some pics of the info, where I found it to be particularly interesting. One of the sets was comissioned by Napoleon for his sister, very cool stuff.

Sorry about the photo quality, my camera isn't great.


European exhibit:

557418_263157310442071_100002434115559_599986_183158201_n.jpg

548013_263157450442057_100002434115559_599990_287474359_n.jpg

560684_263157507108718_100002434115559_599991_419897690_n.jpg

546503_263157587108710_100002434115559_599992_786790512_n.jpg

539651_263157627108706_100002434115559_599993_490562223_n.jpg

531873_263157670442035_100002434115559_599994_682029650_n.jpg

380670_263157710442031_100002434115559_599995_86077819_n.jpg

543482_263157880442014_100002434115559_599998_1765090770_n.jpg

530738_263157960442006_100002434115559_600000_884975296_n.jpg

528436_263158010442001_100002434115559_600001_2033869254_n.jpg

548651_263158083775327_100002434115559_600003_726511957_n.jpg

319714_263158140441988_100002434115559_600004_1854743_n.jpg

who doesn't love a webley?
539651_263158240441978_100002434115559_600006_1711247516_n.jpg

523055_263158287108640_100002434115559_600007_269869497_n.jpg

292283_263158443775291_100002434115559_600010_1158683450_n.jpg

548758_263158490441953_100002434115559_600011_395370673_n.jpg

543686_263158550441947_100002434115559_600012_862037458_n.jpg
 
Are the large English fishtail butt matchlock musket and German paddle butt wheellock carbine still displayed? Was able to have these removed to an examining room, measured and drew them for making reproductions nigh on 40 years ago. The matchlock repro wound up in a Parks Canada historic site.
 
Are the large English fishtail butt matchlock musket and German paddle butt wheellock carbine still displayed? Was able to have these removed to an examining room, measured and drew them for making reproductions nigh on 40 years ago. The matchlock repro wound up in a Parks Canada historic site.

The German I think is, I'll post a pic later.
 
I never realized the ROM had such nice firearms, they weren't on display last time I went there about 8 years ago.
 
Are the large English fishtail butt matchlock musket and German paddle butt wheellock carbine still displayed? Was able to have these removed to an examining room, measured and drew them for making reproductions nigh on 40 years ago. The matchlock repro wound up in a Parks Canada historic site.

This the one? I tried taking a picture three times, every time was blurry. That was easily one of my favourites.

295107_263157823775353_100002434115559_599997_1140623518_n.jpg


I know, awful picture, I was kind of in a hurry to meet someone and i was getting weird looks for taking pictures of the guns and nothing else.

The ROM has some very cool stuff in general, I've been there three times in the past year and I'm looking forward to going back. Maybe I'll even have a better camera :D

A british girl(about fourteen years of age) asked her mother 'were these used in the world war?'.
They were looking at the flintlocks in the Canadian exhibit. Her mother responded that they were.
I was too dumbstruck to correct them.
 
Yup that's it.
Way back then I bandsawed a stock blank, machined up and breeched a tapered octagon to round 24ga barrel, salted these away. Recently obtained a set of wheel lock parts from TRS, and have partially assembled the lock.
It is a really cute, light gun.
I'll take a picture of the project as it stands.
 
ROM Guns

Yeah, been there, seen that .... drooled on the glass.

Heard an interesting comment from a staffer. Seems that at one time display guns were fastened to the wall of displays with copper bands. The guns were deterioriating and it turned out that there was a an electrolitic action occurring between the copper, steel and the dessicant they put in the display cases.

In trying to preserve the guns, they were doing the opposite! It was a bright bulb in the public that pointed out the error.
 
The ones I have seen have the frames/stocks brazed together.

The AMLR forum had an excellent series of posts about making one. The rams horn was brazed on but the bulk of the stock was forged around a steel form.

If ever I have some spare time on my hands I would love to make one. I did see an original in an auction several years ago but at $3000 it was beyond my price range

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom