Who here compulsively cleans and oils their antique revolvers?.

I think I have a problem. I have been taking better care of my antique revolvers than I do myself and my girlfriend lately.

Anyone else got this going on lol...?

Mild Gun OCD perhaps?. I don't like rust, it must all die!.

If these old girls got damaged under my care I'd cry.

I wipe the bore and cylinders after every time i shoot them and a quick wipe on the exterior, and i'm fussy about storage conditions. The antiques are a bit more special than a run of the mill modern firearms and they aren't making any more of them, you know.

I don't think it's a compulsive thing. I change my underwear and socks every day and nobody ever accused me of being compulsive for that. It's the same thing.
 
Fluid film is lanolin (wool wax). Worth taking a look at.

I haven't used it to water proof a cotton work shirt yet, but I've been thinking about it.

Leather treater, to even possibly a fine furniture polish.



"No-ox-id A special" is a form of cosmoline. I had to buy a case becuase of a minimum order size. I'll never use all of it. PM if interested. Great for Aluminum conductors too.

http://sanchem.com/ox_special.html
 
Yeah I only use non toxic products. Fluid Flim is excellent as well as Ballistol, two of my favorite products.

Guns seem to like it too. I hear Ballistol can sometimes slowly eat copper, you should be a little more careful with nickeled guns but I'v never had any issues with mine.

90% of my guns are nickel plated and they all still look exactly like they did when I got them.
 
Yeah I only use non toxic products. Fluid Flim is excellent as well as Ballistol, two of my favorite products.

Guns seem to like it too. I hear Ballistol can sometimes slowly eat copper, you should be a little more careful with nickeled guns but I'v never had any issues with mine.

Be cautious using Ballistol for long term storage. It is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture (from the air), which is not a good thing when you are trying to prevent rust. Note that this is right from the manufacturer....

As for Fluid Film, I have a 20L pail of it, does that make me a fan?
 
I didn't realize that Fluid Film is mainly lanolin. The PH of different waxes is very important, as quite a few have a PH that is a little on the acidic side of things. So over a course of years or a decade, the wax will slowly corrode away your finish. That being said, I have no idea what the PH of lanolin is. One thing I do know is that it makes a fantastic lubricant when mixed with Castor Oil (about 60% lanolin, 40% Castor Oil). I use it for full length sizing and it beats Hornady's lubricant hands down. I was able to size 45-90 brass down to 40-82 with one single plunge of the lever when using the lanolin/castor oil lubricant. Back to PH value ....... as I said before, I do not know where Lanolin is but I do know that both Conservator's Wax (get it from Lee Valley) and Renaissance Wax are both guaranteed PH neutral.
If anyone knows the PH of lanolin, I'd sure appreciate finding out, because I really like it as a lubricant. One other application I use my lanolin/castor oil lube for is to lightly lube the bore with it prior to slugging it. Makes slugging a whole lot easier.
 
I didn't realize that Fluid Film is mainly lanolin. The PH of different waxes is very important, as quite a few have a PH that is a little on the acidic side of things. So over a course of years or a decade, the wax will slowly corrode away your finish. That being said, I have no idea what the PH of lanolin is. One thing I do know is that it makes a fantastic lubricant when mixed with Castor Oil (about 60% lanolin, 40% Castor Oil). I use it for full length sizing and it beats Hornady's lubricant hands down. I was able to size 45-90 brass down to 40-82 with one single plunge of the lever when using the lanolin/castor oil lubricant. Back to PH value ....... as I said before, I do not know where Lanolin is but I do know that both Conservator's Wax (get it from Lee Valley) and Renaissance Wax are both guaranteed PH neutral.
If anyone knows the PH of lanolin, I'd sure appreciate finding out, because I really like it as a lubricant. One other application I use my lanolin/castor oil lube for is to lightly lube the bore with it prior to slugging it. Makes slugging a whole lot easier.


Agreed someone should find this out. ^^^^

I like the the renaissance wax on the outside of my guns (thanks Southlander for telling me about it) You can buy it on Ebay for anyone wondering where to buy it :)
 
If anyone knows the PH of lanolin, I'd sure appreciate finding out, because I really like it as a lubricant. One other application I use my lanolin/castor oil lube for is to lightly lube the bore with it prior to slugging it. Makes slugging a whole lot easier.

It would depend on the manufacturer. Fluid Film is a manufactured product specifically designed for protecting metal, and likely has pH stabilizers. Natural lanolin? Probably depends on what the sheep were eating. ;)

However you do realize that to have a pH the material must have hydrogen + ions (meaning it is reactive), and typically in a water/moisture solution. Substances such as paraffin wax can't have a pH value, since it doesn't produce hydrogen ions, and isn't reactive in an aqueous solution. So those conservator waxes are not pH neutral, they simply have no pH value because they don't react with moisture. (my guess is they say pH neutral rather than confusing people with an explanation like mine above )
.
 
Last edited:
Fluid film actually advocates it's safe application on firearms.

Taken from their website FAQ:

"Can I use FLUID FILM on firearms?
Yes. Apply FLUID FILM to a clean dry rag, rubbing into metal surface as would be done with a polish or a wax. Will not leave fingerprints or affect bluing. The lanolin base of FLUID FILM will also act as a conditioner on wood stock. FLUID FILM will hold up in extreme conditions. "
 
Fluid film neutralizes and protects from corrosive properties as well, salts, acids ect.

Hell you can use it to undercoat your vehicle so I'm sure its good for preserving firearms in all sorts of conditions.
 
That sounds good. Next question: Is there a chain of stores that sells it?

Sandroads: Methinks we might have a scientist in our midst? That ph stuff is good to know. I never did well in chemistry ..... to many rules of thumb, at least it seemed so to me.
 
That sounds good. Next question: Is there a chain of stores that sells it?

Sandroads: Methinks we might have a scientist in our midst? That ph stuff is good to know. I never did well in chemistry ..... to many rules of thumb, at least it seemed so to me.

Plain ol Crappy tire has Fluid film any day of the week. Not Cheap stuff though. Around 15-16$ for a WD-40 sized spray can of it.
 
Back
Top Bottom