Where to buy lead???

Check with local scrap metal dealers for lead pipe or roof/chimney flashing. Back in the day it was usually 100% pure lead. Local contractors or plumbers doing remodels might give you a line on scrap as well.
 
I've heard of people melting down used .177 cal pellets. Put out a call to local airgun shooters, I'm sure most would gladly part with them for free rather than throw them out. Local cadet corps/sqns might be a good source of them as well.
 
Pick the berm, or talk to tire shops. Wheel weights are lead.
I used to get 5 gallon pails of them from CT.
 
I would look for foundries and possibly bulk metal wholesalers. The problem with bulk metal suppliers is they may have a fairly large minimum order

For those recommending range lead or scrap lead, cartridge shooters usually like to use lead of a known mixture. Many use about 5% alloy which permits easier casting while leaving a bullet soft enough to obturate when shot

cheers mooncoon
 
Be careful of range recovery. Heat it slowly until it just melts. Then scoop out the junk. I have been finding that I have to reheat it slowly several times to get most of the crap out.

I go from RR to 20 lb plates. plates to 3 lb cupcakes. Cupcakes to 1 lb ingot. By then most of the junk is out. It is still not pure lead but for pistol ammo or just shooting it is fine.

I would not use it for black powder which should only get pure lead.

Fortunately I have a couple hundred pounds of pure lead.
 
I would look for foundries and possibly bulk metal wholesalers. The problem with bulk metal suppliers is they may have a fairly large minimum order

For those recommending range lead or scrap lead, cartridge shooters usually like to use lead of a known mixture. Many use about 5% alloy which permits easier casting while leaving a bullet soft enough to obturate when shot

cheers mooncoon

I separate my range lead. It suits my anal tendencies.

Jacketed - near pure
Cast - hard
Unknown(broken bits and pieces) - middle of the road

When unsure, I hardness test.
 
i know in winnipeg that the scrappers around here want 1$/lb for pure soft lead. I've got a bunch of ww but lots of the shops around here want 1$/lb for it and its at best 50% junk ( steel/zinc ww's and all the clips ).

To those trying to get the junk out, use sawdust and mix it in, works wonders as a flux.
 
Lead shot is not pure lead and the crap in wheel weights is a nuisance to separate out... and then there is the fluxing, smoke and fumes to deal with. Roof flashing from a scrap yard has been my best source: Federal Metals in SE Calgary. Also, Canada Metals sells "Scrap" pure lead. They explained it is the same as the "pure" lead sold to industries but is the left-over scraps from whatever the industrial clients did with it so still essentially pure and they never mentioned a minimum order size. Canada Metals also sells pure tin if you want to alloy bullets for BPCR.
 
Alchemy Metals in Hamilton, Ontario. Pricing for small amounts of either pure lead or pre blended. Their pricing is all in including shipping to your door. Initial order weights start at 50 pounds.
Look for the "bullet metal" tag in their product listing.
Cheers,
Ricky
 
Alchemy Extrusions is the parent of Aim Projectiles, same address. But Alchemy Casting is a different address. Are they related?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom