Snider Enfield Storage box

Tbolt

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Location
Montreal, QC
Hi All

I'm doing some checking for a friend of mine whose father just passed away.
They were going through his things and came across the bayonet and scabbard for the old Snider Enfield that he used to have.
They also found the box that it came in when he bought it before he was married(he was 85 when he died, and had been married for over 50 years.)
I haven't seen it but the impression that I get is that it is a wood box and not cardboard.
Did the Snider Enfield ever have a carrying box similar to the one for the Enfield Snipers or the C No. 7 rifle?
 
Working on pics, i'll be seeing it this weekend before the gunshow in Longeuil.
I always wanted a Snider, having the bayonet and some accessories would force me to buy one I think...
 
There was no such thing as a wooden box for an individual Snider rifle. They were shipped here in 1867 in wooden boxes which held a dozen I believe. Those boxes had rope handles on each end and were marked on the side with all military marks of Great Britain. Hope this helps. Dave
 
Hi All

As promised here are some pics of the rifle box.
To me it looks homemade, if I had to guess by the guy he bought the rifle from(unless it was from a store, will try and find that out)

109.jpg


110.jpg


111.jpg


112.jpg


I also checked out the bayonet and it is marked on the scabbard as belonging to the Q.O.R. which after checking I figured out means the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada
 
Back
Top Bottom