Ardent
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
My new .41 Long Colt shoots better than some modern handguns I've owned, 1 1/2" at 25
It wasn't easy, a half dozen powders, two different bullets, and a multitude of different seating depths and crimps and finally found one peculiar load right on the velocity I want (750fps for a 185gr) that will fall into 1 1/2" at 25 yards. I was stunned when I walked up to the target board seeing as my other groups with the other loads were 6-12" at 25 yards.
I won't go into details here, but will put an article about how I got to the load on my site in the future. Keen eyes and minds will figure most of it out just from my excited target board notes. The load is smokeless, and involves an unlikely assembly procedure that includes working the press upside down (some may see where this is going) that I thought had at least a snowballs chance in hell of working. Turns out it did, I was desperate as this old Colt has the best bore I've seen in a .41, super tight mechanicals and function, quite evidentially being cared for and lightly used over the years. In my mind if I couldn't get this one to shoot I wasn't about to get any .41 to. It is matching any of my modern revolvers I've had at this point, beating several too, and all from the supposedly woefully inaccurate .41. Too neat.
It wasn't easy, a half dozen powders, two different bullets, and a multitude of different seating depths and crimps and finally found one peculiar load right on the velocity I want (750fps for a 185gr) that will fall into 1 1/2" at 25 yards. I was stunned when I walked up to the target board seeing as my other groups with the other loads were 6-12" at 25 yards.
I won't go into details here, but will put an article about how I got to the load on my site in the future. Keen eyes and minds will figure most of it out just from my excited target board notes. The load is smokeless, and involves an unlikely assembly procedure that includes working the press upside down (some may see where this is going) that I thought had at least a snowballs chance in hell of working. Turns out it did, I was desperate as this old Colt has the best bore I've seen in a .41, super tight mechanicals and function, quite evidentially being cared for and lightly used over the years. In my mind if I couldn't get this one to shoot I wasn't about to get any .41 to. It is matching any of my modern revolvers I've had at this point, beating several too, and all from the supposedly woefully inaccurate .41. Too neat.































...bullseyes and 2-3 inch groups at 25 yards are massively rewarding and satisfying !....






















