Black powder .44 WCF (.44-40)

Loyer

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
Anyone know where a dozen or so black powder (or modern powder equivalent) .44-40 lead cartridges can be purchased? I have a very old 1873 Winchester that I would like to fire at least once in my lifetime.
 
Last edited:
Do you happen to have dies to handload the .44-40? Unless you have someone nearby to load rounds for you, Ten-X in the U.S.A. is about the only game in town. Currently, they are $47 per box of 50, and whatever shipping and hoops to get it here.

My .44-40 black powder loads are the Lyman 427666 lubed with SPG. 33 grains of Goex FFg trickled using a drop tube into a Winchester case with a 0.030" thick vegtable fibre gasket wad over the primer, then a Winchester Large Pistol primer. I use this in all of my original .44-40's and it seems to work well. Cleanup consists of flushing the bore with hot soapy water delivered via a "bore bong". Take a spare case, drill it out to accept a length of hose, then fit a funnel on. Cuts down cleaning patch usage by half. Then turn rifle upside down and clean from the muzzle using Windex with Vinegar (not Ammonia). Then drypatch and give a coat of your favourite rust preventitive. Cases are de-primed, soaked in hot soapy water, then tumbled in a ceramic media tumbler. Corn cob works, but it does dirty the media something fierce. It's just as much fun as it is work.

I would love to help you out, but I'm not interested in loading ammo for others due to liabity issues.
 
A properly loaded(BP) 44/40 puts out a very nice sound, very authoritative, much nicer then smokeless light loads.
 
Makes more of a "whomp" than a pop or bang. I also like the smoke rings that form. Against what most everyone else might say, I would recommend against shooting smokeless in antiques. I have done it in the past, but the thought of reducing one of these beauties to twisted scrap/parts gun/missing body parts made me reconsider.
 
Back
Top Bottom