Colt 1860 Army entrails.

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I am starting repairs on my 60 army .44. Built in '63. Just wondering if the main spring roller on the hammer could be a different type. This thing, rather than a round wheel, has an egg shaped rocker. Looks original to the hammer,not that worn. And never could have turned, just rocked.
This is the only 60 I have worked on. And expected a roller. Any ideas? I see main springs listed as "Frontier Style". What's that?
Thanks, Bill..


001.jpg
 
I would be suspicious that it has worn to that shape. I have definitely seen lots of oval wheels on flintlock frizzens that got that way from wearing. Does not seem unreasonable that the Colt hammer would behave the same way

cheers mooncoon
 
I would be suspicious that it has worn to that shape. I have definitely seen lots of oval wheels on flintlock frizzens that got that way from wearing. Does not seem unreasonable that the Colt hammer would behave the same way

cheers mooncoon

Thanks Moon. I'll punch the thing off the hammer and see. It just appears the "egg" is far too long to turn in the roller radius. To be seen.
Thanks again.
 
Is this an original made in 1863 or a reproduction made in 1963?? Also does it have three screws on the frame for the trigger works or four???
 
Is this an original made in 1863 or a reproduction made in 1963?? Also does it have three screws on the frame for the trigger works or four???

Original 1863 built. It's a 3 screw. The bore is in good shape for a civil war gun. Just needs it's 149 year service work to be a reliable shooter.:D
 
Back
Top Bottom