Antiques discharge in Quebec?

SIGP2101

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
Ottawa
OK, what is the situation on this subject.

Does QC have different laws and regulations or they are like a rest of the country since Firearm Law is federal matter. Any Quebecers to chip in with their own experience/knowledge on this topic.
Reason for asking this is fact that I finally have access to unlimited Crown but in QC where I would like to go and have fun shooting antiques.
Crown is bordering my summer property and some locals keep saying that QC laws are totally different from the rest of the country. In that area there are no restrictive Bylaws that would prevent discharge of non restricted. Already checked with municipality, they laughed back at me when I asked.
 
Last edited:
Shooting antique in Quebec.

I shoot antiques all the time in the Mauricie region without having any serious problems with LEOs. Off course they are ALL ignorant on the matters and ''courteous'' explaination is a must in any encounters. The best is avoiding all encounters with a gun in a holster with people around the trails and not ''SHOWING OFF''. Flip that holster in your back if any encouters with treckers.
Check with the closest town for discharge regulations and the town's limit as sometimes they can extend pretty far.(you may think you are on crown land but could be within city limits)
I also always carry a long gun and a small game hunting permit with me. You can never be too careful.
BE DISCRET !.It is mostly at the shooting range that I have to explain/justify myself more as people are so ignorant on the matter, they cannnot conceive that you can buy, carry and shoot firearms that no papers are required for.
To answer your question, Yes the laws are the same, just a few anoying regulations more...(Anastasia)
 
I shoot antiques all the time in the Mauricie region without having any serious problems with LEOs. Off course they are ALL ignorant on the matters and ''courteous'' explaination is a must in any encounters. The best is avoiding all encounters with a gun in a holster with people around the trails and not ''SHOWING OFF''. Flip that holster in your back if any encouters with treckers.
Check with the closest town for discharge regulations and the town's limit as sometimes they can extend pretty far.(you may think you are on crown land but could be within city limits)
I also always carry a long gun and a small game hunting permit with me. You can never be too careful.
BE DISCRET !.It is mostly at the shooting range that I have to explain/justify myself more as people are so ignorant on the matter, they cannnot conceive that you can buy, carry and shoot firearms that no papers are required for.
To answer your question, Yes the laws are the same, just a few anoying regulations more...(Anastasia)


Very good advise for ALL Provinces. :)
 
....

I also always carry a long gun and a small game hunting permit with me. You can never be too careful.

BE DISCRETE! It is mostly at the shooting range that I have to explain / justify myself more as people are so ignorant on the matter, they cannnot conceive that you can buy, carry and shoot firearms that no papers are required for.
...

Anastasia)

True enough. Have your copy of the RCMP information pamphlets with you or in your gun case. Have your PAL/POL so the cop can hold something in his hand and can copy into his notebook.

Research your boundaries carefully. The advice about municipal boundaries extending widely is correct. If the town hall staff treat your question disrespectfully, complain to the mayor and administrator in writing! They are paid staff, and no citizen should be abused for asking a legitimate question about the bylaws.

Quebec has always had a negative reaction to people in the woods with guns outside of hunting season. In the past there have been some sophisticated poaching rings operating on crown lands. If you have a valid hunting card and the right licence for the time of year, you cannot be accused of not having a reason to be armed and walking in the woods.
 
True enough. Have your copy of the RCMP information pamphlets with you or in your gun case. Have your PAL/POL so the cop can hold something in his hand and can copy into his notebook.

Research your boundaries carefully. The advice about municipal boundaries extending widely is correct. If the town hall staff treat your question disrespectfully, complain to the mayor and administrator in writing! They are paid staff, and no citizen should be abused for asking a legitimate question about the bylaws.

Quebec has always had a negative reaction to people in the woods with guns outside of hunting season. In the past there have been some sophisticated poaching rings operating on crown lands. If you have a valid hunting card and the right licence for the time of year, you cannot be accused of not having a reason to be armed and walking in the woods.

Thanks for you input on the matter! Greatly appreciated.
At least now we know from the first hand that it is like the rest of the country. I do not believe that "Ana" law would have negative effect on antiques but I will read it if I find English version somewhere.
 
I do not believe that "Ana" law would have negative effect on antiques but I will read it if I find English version somewhere.

Yes it does !!!!
In opposition to gun laws in the rest of the real Canada, in Qbec your antique is considered a dangerous weapon if carried/transported in public transportation, hospital and schools and subjected to confiscation and fines.
 
Yes it does !!!!
In opposition to gun laws in the rest of the real Canada, in Qbec your antique is considered a dangerous weapon if carried/transported in public transportation, hospital and schools and subjected to confiscation and fines.


Oh yaaa I remember now, once when I was in Quebec hospital long time ago everybody was packing heat, same was in daycare as well. I was thinking WTF????
 
Yes it does !!!!
In opposition to gun laws in the rest of the real Canada, in Qbec your antique is considered a dangerous weapon if carried/transported in public transportation, hospital and schools and subjected to confiscation and fines.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. But carrying an antique on public transportation, or in a hospital or school would be a really bad idea ANYWHERE in Canada.

Being able to legally carry an antique in a wilderness or rural area is really nice. A good way to screw things up is to start carrying an antique in an urban area.
 
Maybe I'm reading this wrong. But carrying an antique on public transportation, or in a hospital or school would be a really bad idea ANYWHERE in Canada.

Being able to legally carry an antique in a wilderness or rural area is really nice. A good way to screw things up is to start carrying an antique in an urban area.

That idiot is the one I fear. There are so many obnoxious types out there who want to try and do it "because I can" and are deluded enough to believe exposing people to the image of guns will improve our situation. I worry too about all the non-period correct chambering conversions occurring, we are likely shooting ourselves in our very own foot. It is very evident from the regs that the intent was to require all modern chamberings, or at least those in regular production and of easy access, be registered. When .38 Long Colt is restricted and people are making .38 Specials the future is dim. We can be an incredibly dull lot at times, I'm afraid it's too late to smarten up.
 
That idiot is the one I fear. There are so many obnoxious types out there who want to try and do it "because I can" and are deluded enough to believe exposing people to the image of guns will improve our situation. I worry too about all the non-period correct chambering conversions occurring, we are likely shooting ourselves in our very own foot. It is very evident from the regs that the intent was to require all modern chamberings, or at least those in regular production and of easy access, be registered. When .38 Long Colt is restricted and people are making .38 Specials the future is dim. We can be an incredibly dull lot at times, I'm afraid it's too late to smarten up.

I hope not, because I am just getting into Antiques and am enjoying it.However if people do stupid and dangerous things with their antique firearms then the government is charged with stopping it of course! Wearing or carrying your Antique in city limits in plain view of citizens is ludicrous and nothing good can come from it. If it happens once to often then the Antiques will be outlawed. There are plenty of proper places and times to enjoy the freedom an antique firearm brings, at the range in the woods and at meets that cater to the old times. All fun and enjoyable. Those who wear or carry in the wrong places, even if legal now, should not own one of these beautifull old pieces, in fact they do not show the maturity and mental faculty to own any firearm! Just my 2 cents!
 
OK, what is the situation on this subject.

.

IThe best is avoiding all encounters with a gun in a holster with people around the trails and not ''SHOWING OFF''. Flip that holster in your back if any encouters with treckers.

BE DISCRET !.

Very good advise for ALL Provinces. :)

That idiot is the one I fear. We can be an incredibly dull lot at times,

There are plenty of proper places and times to enjoy the freedom an antique firearm brings, at the range in the woods and at meets that cater to the old times. All fun and enjoyable.


discrete.

A strap holster.
Moved about your body as circumstances dictate.
:)
 
Maybe I'm reading this wrong. But carrying an antique on public transportation, or in a hospital or school would be a really bad idea ANYWHERE in Canada.

Being able to legally carry an antique in a wilderness or rural area is really nice. A good way to screw things up is to start carrying an antique in an urban area.

"Anastasia's Law" or Loi 9, in Quebec, doesn't prohibit guns anywhere it wasn't already illegal and/or idiotic to take them (i.e. schools, hospitals, etc.)
Much of Law 9 is just common sense, but many of us find it insulting our intelligence to be forced to pass a test on it. However, the government felt obliged to do something after the Dawson rampage.

e.g. if your spouse runs a day-care, she is obliged to inform clients of the presence of your (safely-stored :)) guns. Probably a smart thing to be up-front about.

Its more obnoxious clauses constitute a "snitch" law. If you argue with your neighbour about e.g. your dog, kids, etc, and he/she knows you have guns, he/she could call the police and claim to be afraid of you. Cops arrive and you have to prove you're not a threat to anyone. No penalty to neighbour for false alarm. Fortunately, the vast majority have no clue of the insidious power Law 9 gives non-gun-owners in Quebec.
 
Back
Top Bottom