Educate me

My next antique is gonna be a SA.
DA, even on simple, strong pistols seems prone to malfunction.
Hard to beat a Colt's pointability though the open top is a bit of a weak point( for twice the money no less)
I'd like to handle a Rem 1858 for a bit, see how it feels.
Had a Ruger Old Army, after a Colt Navy the Ruger felt like throwing a ball left handed ( Colt Revolvers; the worlds right arm...punny eh. Still a cool buckle). Had to get rid of the Ruger, it just had no feel to it.
Funny how some guns just feel right. Out of 6 different types of Milsurps; I'll always go back to my Mutt of a rifle Krag. Feels right, the others not so much.
That is the problem with buying online , you can't handle it and see if the gun feels right.
 
Most Thunderers and Lightnings have been diddled with so much over time to keep them running, you are getting a 100 years of problems. They are a bit of a tinkerers pride.
For an affordable cartridge gun, I would pick a S&W Russian SA gun. The Remington 58 C&B guns are repairable and affordable. Colts are always the better investment gun tho.
Not to crap on a gun like that Manhattan .36, or a Rogers & Spencer, or a lot of other lesser known but good guns. I was using a J.P. Lower .32 rf today, a great gun. Now I'm just rambling. They all are fun.
 
So the cool thing..

I went to my local range and they had a Colt DA 1895 in the case. Although it wasn't an antique (1906ish) and in rough shape, I got to hold it. Damn it felt pretty nice.. I could just see Billy the Kid pulling that out. Colt DA is definitely on the list. I'm OK with a little tinkering.

If I could only find some of the other guns you guys pointed out (especially the S&W). It would be cool to compare.

Anyone from Edmonton with antique guns they would like to show me?
 
So the cool thing..

I went to my local range and they had a Colt DA 1895 in the case. Although it wasn't an antique (1906ish) and in rough shape, I got to hold it. Damn it felt pretty nice.. I could just see Billy the Kid pulling that out. Colt DA is definitely on the list. I'm OK with a little tinkering.

If I could only find some of the other guns you guys pointed out (especially the S&W). It would be cool to compare.

Anyone from Edmonton with antique guns they would like to show me?

This is as good a start as any....:redface:

[youtube]AqkoMyHzR9E[/youtube]
 
Back
Top Bottom