Looking for comments

Road King

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Interesting to hear some comment on this old girl. W.W. Greener, Grade FH-35, 12 bore , 22" barrels :rolleyes: Found in storage locker being cleaned out:)
Posted it here vrs on shotgun site but will see what I get for comments here before maybe moving it.

DSC09429.jpg


DSC09430.jpg


DSC09431.jpg


DSC09432.jpg


DSC09433.jpg


DSC09434.jpg


DSC09435.jpg


DSC09436.jpg


DSC09437.jpg


DSC09438.jpg


DSC09439.jpg
 
If I read Graham Greener's book correctly, it was made in 1906. With 22" barrels,I would check to see if they still are choked or have been shortened. Nice looking gun just the same. How are the bores? I have owned several Greeners and felt they were well made guns

cheers mooncoon
 
Nice old gun - looks tight on the face, as well. My local dealer here, a specialist in Greeners, thinks that at least 6 inches has been taken off the barrels, which should, he says, be at least 28". Shorter barrelled SXS shotguns are extremely unpopular here in the country of origin, so I'm guessing that it was a Canadian 'smith who did the job for ease of carrying it around on a buggy - at least he put the foresight back in the right place. So you may have ended up with a double cylinder-bore! Nice to see that only one screwhead appears to be b&ggered up, and that the underview shows all the screwheads still 'timed'.

Take it easy on the cartridge and you'll have a long time to enjoy it.

tac
 
Nice looking shotgun (and I rarely use that kind of language). I would say, shoot light loads with care, and it will be in the family for a long time.
 
Thanks for the comments guys. The gun has a very tight action and closes up like the proverbial bank vault door. I bores measure .7212" and .7020". Mooncoon thanks for the date (1906) as I thought it might be later than that.
TAC thanks for you comments and observations wrt to the screws being timed correctly, I hadn't noticed, my eyes are used to old Winchesters and Marlins.:redface:
I think this might be a keeper for a while and have some fun with this fall with some old Canuck ammo.:rolleyes:
 
tac is the name, the easy way of saying my name- Tadhg - for those who can't pronounce Irish.... ;=/

I won't even go down the road of how my surname used to get pronounced here in UK. 'Foley' is near enough for gubmint work.

'Ah, lookit the Irish language, now - great altogether for the pronunciation but terrible on the spellin'....

Best

tac
 
The bores appear to be about Improved Cylinder and Modified. Might be original. Greener did make custom items on request.
Go easy on the shells if you intend to keep and use it. The gun will almost certainly have 2.5" chambers rather than the modern normal 2.75". I have a Greener from about the same time and it has 2.5" chambers.
 
Perhaps a barrel was damaged, resulting in the shortening.
Hate to think that a cowboy action bubba got to it.
 
Have Greener's books survived? Might confirm a special order. Barrel stamps indicate both barrels were originally choked.
 
If it were cut and I suspected that they had been, why would the bores measure differently?

That is odd but an English gun with these short barrels would be VERY unusual. English shotgun makers of that era had very definite ideas of the "PROPER" configuration of a double gun and were loath to produce anything outside of those parameters.
 
That is odd but an English gun with these short barrels would be VERY unusual. English shotgun makers of that era had very definite ideas of the "PROPER" configuration of a double gun and were loath to produce anything outside of those parameters.

As I noted in my post back there - a local Greener expert tells me that Greener never, to his knowledge, made barrels shorter than 26inches, and they were special ordered for the colonies for use mainly with buckshot.

I'm not a shotgun man, but I've seen thousands of English and English style shotguns over the last five decades, and none of them were even 26", let alone 22". The dealer here has about five hundred guns in stock right now, and none of them are shorter than 28".

For whatever reason these barrels have been shortened, but done well, making it a very handy brush gun for buckshot.

tac
 
I have a buddy here in bc whos last name is foley, his parents came from england 20 years ago.

Mabye you are related :p

Mclean

Bless your heart, Sir, I'm not an English Foley [shibber], but an Irish one with Canadian connections. The English Foleys spell their name Foley, but WE spell our name Ó Foghlada, pronounced Foley for the benefit of the poor English who are set in their strange ways with regards to pronunciation. ;)

And WE have a place in our hearts for Nanaimo, having spent a lot of time there over the years on the beautiful island......:) We just love coming over on the Tsawassen ferry and seeing the big apartment blocks appear in the morning mist.

Apologies to all for thread-drift.

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom