Broke Gonic 50 Cal Ram Rod Need Help...

Camp Cook

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Location
B.C.
I'm new to muzzle loading = a year or 2 ago I ventured into the world of muzzle loaders when I purchased a Gonic 50 cal magnum muzzle loader barrel etc for my Contender carbine I haven't shot it all that much maybe 5 or 6 trips to the hills/range with it.

Yesterday I had a chance to get to the range with it while loading my 5th load when I had the bullet appr 1/3 of the way down the barrel the threaded end of the ramrod snapped off.

I was able to ram the bullet the rest of the way in and fire the shot but that was it for the day... :(

I have a couple of question.

Are there replacement ramrods available where do I go to purchase another or would I better off just rethreading this one?

Are there ramrods available that I will not have to deal with breaking in the future?

Any thoughts are totally appreciated.

thanks
CC
 
You can get replacement ramrods for many sources. Both Canadian and US.

I recommend you invest in a range rod. Mine is a 3 piece brass unit. When anyone gets a stuck ball part way down the barrel they come to me. It has the weight and strength that a wooden rod does not have. You can also get synthetic rods that are excellent. I have one that is two feet longer than any gun I have. Great for cleaning.

You may want to look for a ball popper. It shoots compressed gas into the barrel from the nipple and out pops the ball.

If your ball got stuck you may have been using too thick of a patch.

Spin jags are a must in my world. I have them in all of the calibers I shot.
 
You can make a range rod as well, even with steel rod (5/16" or 3/8"), use copper bushing to keep the steel away from the edge of the bore - appropriately sized fuel line slid over it if you're real worried. Thread one end if you want to get fancy to ensure a good grip on your handle.

I just broke another ramrod a couple weeks ago... I've broken many and usually repair them with wooden doweling, not as good as hickory but they last for many shots and cost pennies plus minimal effort to put together.
 
I will order a new setup from Spinjag do you buy in Canada or order direct?

Never thought of a range rod I like that idea.

Thanks for the thoughts - link this info totally helped me out.
 
I'm new to muzzle loading = a year or 2 ago I ventured into the world of muzzle loaders when I purchased a Gonic 50 cal magnum muzzle loader barrel etc for my Contender carbine I haven't shot it all that much maybe 5 or 6 trips to the hills/range with it.

Yesterday I had a chance to get to the range with it while loading my 5th load when I had the bullet appr 1/3 of the way down the barrel the threaded end of the ramrod snapped off.

I was able to ram the bullet the rest of the way in and fire the shot but that was it for the day... :(

I have a couple of question.

Are there replacement ramrods available where do I go to purchase another or would I better off just rethreading this one?

Are there ramrods available that I will not have to deal with breaking in the future?

Any thoughts are totally appreciated.

thanks
CC
for now a 3/8" dowel cut to length will be appropriate for now. you can buy replacement ramrods from Cabelas, Sportsman guide and Wholesale Outfitters.
 
Turns out it wasn't the stainless steel rod that broke it was the jag it snapped off at the threads due to my poor eye sight (didn't have my reading glasses with me) I didn't look close enough to see what had broken.

I removed the broken threaded piece this morning and ordered a SpinJag using (FRAUD ALERT) used their slow boat to China mail option so should have it between 1 - 3 weeks.

I had a spare jag in my possiblies bag that I can use until the SpinJag gets here.
 
Back
Top Bottom