>38 webley/ .38 webley/200

bobdbldr

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
Anyone know if the .38 webley/.38/200 is a legal antique status caliber in Canada? I checked the gazette and it doesn't mention that caliber but not sure if the webley caliber is actually One of the restricted.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Bob
 
Well, although the seller is saying the gun is around 1883, the research I have done so far shows the .38 coming on line well after 1898! :0(
 
I think .38/200 is considered .38S&W with a 200g bullet and it is on the no go list (see sticky above)

Webley chambered in .380 is not on the no go.
 
Cartridges of the World 380 Short & Long Revolver,
Historical notes,
The 380 Revolver cartridge is a British innovation for the Webley revolver and originated about 1869-70. It was loaded in the US until shortly after WWI
The .38 short Colt was copied from it.
Bullet dia. 0.375 (heeled), case length 0.70, rim dia. 0.396
(.38 S&W 0.359(inside lube), 0.78, 0.433)
 
Cartridges of the World 380 Short & Long Revolver,
Historical notes,
The 380 Revolver cartridge is a British innovation for the Webley revolver and originated about 1869-70. It was loaded in the US until shortly after WWI
The .38 short Colt was copied from it.
Bullet dia. 0.375 (heeled), case length 0.70, rim dia. 0.396
(.38 S&W 0.359(inside lube), 0.78, 0.433)

That is encouraging info, I will keep digging, I will call the cfc tomorrow to get their take on it with caliber and hopefully serial #!
 
Be sure to only speak to a tech person. They are the only ones that seem to know anything.
BTW .38 S&W was introduced in 1877 but, to the best of my knowledge, no Webleys were factory chambered in this cartridge until the 1930s.
 
I have never heard of a cartridge called the .38 Webley. The .38/200 is an English military designation for the .38 S&W cartridge.
45 Webley, 455 Webley Revolver MKII, 455 Webley Auto yes but .38 Webley, no.
 
I have never heard of a cartridge called the .38 Webley. The .38/200 is an English military designation for the .38 S&W cartridge.
45 Webley, 455 Webley Revolver MKII, 455 Webley Auto yes but .38 Webley, no.

Thats right ^ 38/200 is a No Go cartridge its just a diffrent name for the 38 S&W Ctg.
 
Back
Top Bottom