Need a new tc .54 ramrod...any help please

icehunter121

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Location
Alberta
Well I dont, but my buddy does.This past weekend we went out and burnt some powder with my new to me hawken and his .54 renegade.Well he was teaching me how to load and do stuff, and at 1 point when he fired he had his ramrod left in the barrel...it became a 1600FPS arrow and we cant find it or even splinters of it..:p

Any one know of a canadian distributor for tc parts?? Or even a warranty centre??
 
x2 on the dowelling, it's all I use, it'll hold up fine for many loads & cheap as dirt...make a range rod as well then the dowelling will last longer, use that just for cleaning & to keep in the ramrod pipes

If you've lost the ends then as Steppenwolf says, 7mm magnum cases (probably any of the belted mags) cut down work good on 3/8 dowelling, require a bit of sanding & results in a nice tight fit that doesn't go anywhere
 
T/C ramrod

you're not the first one to do this. why not use 3/8 brass rod-makes a fine ramrod and overcomes any stubbornness caused by fouling after a number of shots. i have one i use as my trail rod as well-a little longer with a piece of antler attached to the end to make seating the ball easier and as well you cannot make the mistake of shooting it down range again.
 
I know we could make one,but its not original to the rifle and he wont be happy with it...just like me!! I will contact TC directly and see what they can do for us...but thanks for the help anyways...as always, muchly appreciated :)
 
Another thought is to have one made by Mr Parker of Parker Gunservices in Strathroy Ont. He is a older gentleman who is a specialist in Black powder for many years now. He really knows his stuff on the older guns for sure.
 
Go to a farm supply and get a fibreglass rod used for electric fences. They are 3/8" diameter and usually in white or orange and 5' long. Cost about $4.50 and are unbreakable. Put a 7/16 diameter ramrod tip on it in 10-32 or 8-32 thread, whichever fits your attachments. Use epoxy to fit the tip and drill for a cross pin and it will never fail you - unless you shoot it at something... you'll probably miss the target LOL.
 
you could just use a 3/8" dowel as a replacement for now and buy one off the internet from a website like cabelas or sportsman guide.
 
you could just use a 3/8" dowel as a replacement

You can make one out of dowel and a brass casing.

x2 on the dowelling, it's all I use, it'll hold up fine for many loads & cheap as dirt

Wow no offense guys but this is a case of: just cause it is on the internet don't make it good advice. I know three intelligent posters offering a solution is hard to ignore butDO NOT USE A PIECE OF Hardware store DOWEL. When it breaks (and it will) it will very likley snake it's way between some bone and some tendon in some part of your body located south of your elbow. If you must use a field expediated solution go with the electric fence rod or get a piece of drill rod. Really cannot stress enough that dowel is not appropriate or safe to use for forcing anything down a tube.

I had some decoy stakes made of dowel once, went along great for years until one day I pushed one in (we are talking a short stick not a 30 inch RR) and it slid into two piece both sharp as sabres the one in the ground and I were attached by a close coupling of hand meat for a few seconds. Can't imagine the damage a broken ram rod would do, could be crippling for life.

If hillfolk cannot help then Gun works carries TC replacement rods.
 
That's fine advice, no question that they break and that a broken rod is dangerous. If you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it. Understand the risks and how to mitigate them, it's YOUR decision in the end.

That said, hickory rods break too, that's how I've ended up using dowelling. A hickory rod I was using broke and actually punched my hand. Luckily it didn't tear anything up, resulted in more of a bad bruise/swelling with some slivers and minor cut. Could have been a lot worse. I have seen the scars from one or two guys who had had ram rods go into their hands, it doesn't look like fun.

I've been using dowelling for many years now, with many successful loads under it. Yes, dowelling seems to break more frequently. Got fed up with trying to source proper rod materials, it isn't exactly readily available where I'm at. However, I find the dowelling gives me some warning BEFORE it breaks, UNLIKE the hickory. It tends to start bending more first, then splitting rather than cracking (dowelling I use is usually poplar or some softer wood).


Since I hammered my hand I've always used a short starter with a hole in the grip to ram the ball home regardless of the rod, keeps the hand protected to a certain extent. Keep it perpendicular to the rod.

A good metal range rod is even better, it won't break - and then your wooden rod is just a back up/cleaning rod. I only recently made one though.

That's only my 0.02. Whatever you do, be careful and pay attention when you're loading.

Happy shootin'
 
well said. IMHO the unbreakable synthetic rods are the only way to go or If you really want a handsome gun that is historically correct go with steel/iron so you can keep everything slim and trim. Just don't go pushing on dowel wood that was designed for kids crafts!
 
Wow no offense guys but this is a case of: just cause it is on the internet don't make it good advice. I know three intelligent posters offering a solution is hard to ignore butDO NOT USE A PIECE OF Hardware store DOWEL. When it breaks (and it will) it will very likley snake it's way between some bone and some tendon in some part of your body located south of your elbow. If you must use a field expediated solution go with the electric fence rod or get a piece of drill rod. Really cannot stress enough that dowel is not appropriate or safe to use for forcing anything down a tube.

I had some decoy stakes made of dowel once, went along great for years until one day I pushed one in (we are talking a short stick not a 30 inch RR) and it slid into two piece both sharp as sabres the one in the ground and I were attached by a close coupling of hand meat for a few seconds. Can't imagine the damage a broken ram rod would do, could be crippling for life.

If hillfolk cannot help then Gun works carries TC replacement rods.

Good advice...sure I could slap one together,BUT, its not oem to the rifle and he wants to keep it original.When we go out shooting he just uses my rr till we can find one for him.He is in no big hurry. I checked track of the wolf and all I could find were synthetic ones..and that he definately dont want. I will try Hillfolk and see what they can come up with.

I e-mailed T/C over a week ago about a replacement and they still havent got back to me...might just have to phone them and rattle there cage!!
 
My original rod stays in my gun and never comes out as I have a custom made steel one that is virtually unbreakable. The end knob is big enough that it will certainly be noticed before we could ever shoot this gun. Old Mr Al Parker makes them by hand to fit exactly your rifle at a very reasonable cost as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom