No topstrap on early Colt sixguns

Metman2

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
When I see old (e.g. pre-Civil-War) Colt revolvers, I am struck by the absence of a top strap. I wonder, what holds them together? Obviously something does, but I'm at a loss to figure it out from photos.
 
there is a fairly robust cylinder pin that extends into the area below the barrel. There is a cross bolt ie a flat key that ties the barrel and the cylinder pin together

cheers mooncoon
 
Here is picture of one taken apart, notice the large cylinder pin and wedge notch to hold it all together.

Pietta44CalApart004.jpg
 
Wedge "Part # 3" is the ticket.....:yingyang:....I've always wondered if it's safe to shoot one without screw "Part 24" in-place......:redface:

Yes. Part 24 bears against the spring in the top of the wedge, and when you drive the wedge out, the little ridge at the end of the spring stops the wedge before it comes all the way out. It's basically so you can drive the wedge out far enough to remove the barrel assembly from the gun while leaving the wedge in the barrel assembly so you don't lose it. The wedge will stay in place for firing just fine without that screw.

And once I had a Colt disassembled, I knew just what the designer of the Le Mat was thinking. "Hey, instead of this fat cylinder pin, how about we install another barrel for the cylinder to revolve around? A nice fat shotgun barrel! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom