Why can a designated antique be in 38 special or 45 acp but not any other caliber?

the_beege

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
Toronto
Can someone explain this one to me? I know the obvious answer which is our firearms laws are ridiculous and make no sense, but why? 45 colt is just as easy to get as 38 special so why is 45 colt not considered an antique but 38 special is? this is crazy and makes no sense.
 
The laws are as written, someone made up a list of "bad" cartridges and it stuck. Cartridges that came along after the list was made up were not included. Most of the cartridges on the "no-go list" were for small concealable "Saturday Night Specials" commonly used by criminals.
 
There is a list of calibers that are considered no go for antiques. .38 special and .45ACP are not on that list. .38 and .45 Colt are.

The reason is that the list is made up of calibers that were used in antique guns but that are not completely obsolete yet. It just never occurred to whoever wrote this law that antique guns can be changed to much more modern calibers, and that you can simply load your own ammo to lower pressure.

You can read the antique regs here:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1993311&postcount=12
 
I get all that. I'm just so confused (though delighted). Of this fact. It doesn't make sense. Our firearms laws are stupid

I think it's demonstrative of a basic :yingyang: - though often overlooked :( - truth:

Things are by their nature "permitted" :) - it is only the "banning" that is artifical and nonsensical....f:P:
 
I get all that. I'm just so confused (though delighted). Of this fact. It doesn't make sense. Our firearms laws are stupid

Hello the-beege,

I know that you bought an antique Colt from the US, are you sure that it is legally antique by our Canadian laws (calibre and DOB), as they are different from the US antique laws. An antique in the US isn't necessarely antique in Canada. You probably new that but I'd rather make sure...I prefer posting this for nothing than you having a restricted or prohibited ''waiting'' for you at the customs!;)

OK
 
Most of the cartridges on the "no-go list" were for small concealable "Saturday Night Specials" commonly used by criminals.

You don't see that many saturday night specials made in 45 colt, 44-40, 38-40, 38 colt, etc. In fact none of the prohibited cartridges for antiques were prohibited because they were commonly available or used in cheap "saturday night specials".

.32 and .25 caliber cartridges were prohibited in a completely different section of the firearm regulations and have nothing to do with antiques.
 
The reason is that the list is made up of calibers that were used in antique guns but that are not completely obsolete yet. It just never occurred to whoever wrote this law that antique guns can be changed to much more modern calibers, and that you can simply load your own ammo to lower pressure.

Basically this. .38 special came out in 1899 and the .45ACP came out in 1911(?) so they were not used in guns made in 1897 and earlier so there was no reason to "ban" those calibers.
 
They also fail to list 22WMR and 17HMR in rim fire calibers.
Now 17hmr is too new to be on the list but 22WMR has been around for ever.

Seeing as I can remember when .22 Magnum was introduced, I guess that makes me as old as the hills.
 
you can still own a .32 as long as its rimfire(the .32 rimfire is most likely the best of the antique cartridges as its easy to load) and if you read it does say no .32 colt's(both long and short) and no .32 S&W(again both long a short) i think even the .32-20 is in there i have not looked in a bit
 
you can still own a .32 as long as its rimfire(the .32 rimfire is most likely the best of the antique cartridges as its easy to load) and if you read it does say no .32 colt's(both long and short) and no .32 S&W(again both long a short) i think even the .32-20 is in there i have not looked in a bit

.32-20 is on the other list.

And welcome back!
 
Hey corral. As far as I am concerned it is an antique here. The date of manufacture is 1876 and it has been converted to 38 special which it says on he barrel. I asked the seller to clearly mark these things for customs to see so there would be less headaches
 
i think the whole rcmp antique letter is just the same as registering it if it comes with it fine but dont expect me to get one i just carry a copy of the antique regulations with me this way if i get hassled just throw them the law

i like my little .32 rimfire but id like to get some .32 long colt casings to convert and make some shotshells for some more fun
 
Back
Top Bottom